Photo credits: Hally Everett
If there’s one thing I’ve learned from my therapist, it’s the importance of self-care. I’m sure you’ve heard the term “self-care” and thought it was just about doing face masks and meditating. While doing a face mask can be considered self-care, it’s more than that! Here are 17 different ideas for self-care that you can do TONIGHT as a college student. Let’s get to it!
- Write: Writing can be a great way to relax and refresh. You can try journaling, drawing or even writing a letter to a friend.
- Clean: Having a clean space can help you unwind and feel ready to take on the day. Just try organizing one part of your room and see how you feel!
- Meditate: Meditation may sound difficult, but it helps to start small! Try going on YouTube and finding a one-minute meditation video at first.
- Yoga: Similar to meditation, yoga can help you be more mindful and also stretch out your body. Try one from YouTube — there are tons of beginner videos out there!
- Color: Coloring, whether in a coloring book or just doodling, can be very relaxing. There are tons of online free coloring pages that are printable! Don’t want to get up? Try a coloring app.
- Call a friend: Talking to someone is a really helpful tool when you’re feeling overwhelmed! A trusted friend can help you figure out the situation and feel better.
- Exercise: Exercise is proven to reduce stress and boost self-esteem as well! Try going to the gym or doing a workout video on YouTube.
- Read a book: While not as common with the age of social media, some still find relaxation in a good book. Bonus points if it’s a self-help book!
- Reflect: Doing an internal reflection is a great way to learn about yourself. Try these questions: What do I need right now? How is my life going?
- Practice gratitude: It’s easy to practice gratitude. Start by making a list of three things you’re grateful for today.
- Meal plan, and make it healthy: Planning your meals can help you feel more organized and ready to take on the week. Try to make it healthy, though!
- Do a social media cleanse: Sometimes social media can weigh us down. Lighten the load by unfollowing negative influences on your life.
- Turn off your phone: Taking a break from your phone is a great way to unwind and forget about your stresses.
- Watch your favorite show: Need an excuse to binge another episode? Watching your favorite tv show is a great way to relax.
- Go to bed early: Is there anything better than going to bed early? Getting enough sleep is essential to the well-being of college students.
- Listen to music: It can be rock, pop, country or hip-hop. Whatever you’re into, listening to music can help you get some stress out!
- Reach out to the Counseling Center: If you feel like you’re struggling, visit the WCU Counseling Center for help!
QuadCares Challenge of the week: Pick one new self-care task and try it!
Question of the week: What have I done for myself today?
Hally Everett is a fifth-year Media & Culture major with minors in Health Sciences and Entrepreneurship. HE885418@wcupa.edu