The print version of The Quad is published on most Mondays during the fall and spring semesters, with a minimum newsprint circulation of 2,000 copies. (A higher circulation is typical for special issues, including our Summer Orientation Issue.) The print version is distributed on news racks across campus, as well as selected off-campus locations. A digital replica of the print version, which includes all display advertising, is distributed online, through social media, and on mobile devices at issuu.com/quad.
The Quad is printed in a six-column tabloid format, with a finished size of 10.75” tall by 11” wide, and a print area of 9.89” square. Display advertising prices are based on a column inch measuring 1.648 inches wide and .989 inches tall, with 60 column inches to a page. We offer the standard display advertising sizes listed below. Custom-sized ads that do not match the dimensions of our standard sizes may be purchased at the rate of $5 per column inch, minimum of 4 column inches.
Standard Display Advertising Sizes
The Quad offers a wide variety of standard display advertising sizes to fit any advertising budget. Below is our current price list and the exact dimensions of each option, along with links to examples of many of these ad sizes.
- Full page: $258. Measures 9.89″ tall x 9.89″ wide (60 column inches). SEE EXAMPLE
- Half page vertical: $132. Measures 9.89″ tall x 4.945″ wide (30 column inches). SEE EXAMPLE
- Half page horizontal: $132. Measures 4.945” tall x 9.89” wide (30 column inches). SEE EXAMPLE
- Third page vertical: $90. Measures 9.89” tall x 3.296” wide (20 column inches). SEE EXAMPLE
- Third page horizontal: $90. Measures 3.296” tall x 9.89” wide (20 column inches). SEE EXAMPLE
- Quarter page square: $69. Measures 4.945” tall x 4.945” wide (15 column inches). SEE EXAMPLE
- Quarter page vertical: $69. Measures 9.89” tall x 2.472” wide (15 column inches). SEE EXAMPLE
- Quarter page horizontal: $69. Measures 2.472” tall x 9.89” wide (15 column inches). SEE EXAMPLE
- Sixth page vertical: $47. Measures 4.945” tall x 3.296” wide (10 column inches). SEE EXAMPLE
- Sixth page horizontal: $47. Measures 3.296” tall x 4.945” wide (10 column inches). SEE EXAMPLE
- Eighth page vertical: $36. Measures 4.945” tall x 2.472” wide (7.5 column inches). SEE EXAMPLE
- Eighth page horizontal: $36. Measures 2.472” tall x 4.945” wide (7.5 column inches).
- Coupon horizontal: $29. Measures 1.978” tall x 4.945” wide (6 column inches).
- Business card horizontal: $20. Measures 1.978” tall x 3.296” wide (4 column inches). SEE EXAMPLE
Color Display Ads
The prices listed above are for monochrome (black and white) ads in our print product. We also offer color display advertising (four-color process) for an additional charge of $149. This color charge applies regardless of display advertising size. For example, a half page color display ad would be priced at $281 ($132 space charge plus $149 color charge). There is no additional charge for color in our digital replica edition; advertisers may submit materials in both monochrome (for our print product) and color (for our digital replica product).
The Quad will accept pre-printed advertising inserts no larger than 10.75 by 11 inches at the rate of $125 per 1,000 inserts (minimum of 1,000). A full run in a standard 2,000 circulation issue would thus cost $250. Inserts must be within a minimum thickness of .005″ and a maximum thickness of .200″. Inserts must be pre-printed and delivered directly to our printer at least five days prior to our publication date. Clients are encouraged to verify the receipt of their inserts with our printer. Please contact our advertising manager at email@example.com for more information about advertising inserts.
Discounts and bulk purchases
The Quad offers numerous advertising discounts on both print and digital advertising. For a complete schedule of discounts, please click here to see our current discount list.
We also offer bulk volume contracts for display advertising clients. A bulk volume contract is a pre-paid purchase of a large amount of column inches of display advertising that may be used across multiple print issues over a period of 1 year. Bulk volume contracts must be paid for in advance, and all column inches purchased must be used within 1 year of our receipt of payment. We offer three bulk volume contracts:
- 100 column inches: $420 ($4.20 per column inch)
- 200 column inches: $820 ($4.10 per column inch)
- 300 column inches: $1200 ($4.00 per column inch)
As a courtesy to our bulk volume contract clients, a single advertising insertion order that depletes and exceeds a pre-paid bank of column inches will be billed at the column inch rate of the bulk volume contract. For example, a client who pre-paid for 100 column inches and subsequently ordered two full page ads (120 column inches) would be billed for the additional 20 column inches at $4.20 per column inch. Bulk volume contract clients will also be billed the standard color charge for any insertion orders for color ads. Bulk volume contracts are not eligible for the pre-payment discount (since they are already pre-paid).
Other Display Advertising Policies
- Please provide “camera-ready” advertising materials in a standard digital image format (pdf or tiff format preferred, high-resolution jpg acceptable). If sending materials in pdf format, please ensure that all fonts used are embedded in the pdf.
- Please avoid sending us advertising materials in non-standard formats, such as Microsoft Word documents or PowerPoint slides, as we must convert these files into pdf format for placement in our print product. Such conversions can significantly degrade the appearance of the ad, especially when non-standard fonts and low-resolution graphics are used. The Quad is not responsible for the appearance of ads when materials are submitted in non-standard formats.
- Materials for color ads in our print product should be provided in CMYK color. The Quad is not responsible for the appearance of color ads that we must convert to CMYK from RGB color.
- We want your ad to look its best, so please do not submit materials that do not match the dimensions of the ad size you ordered. If the materials received do not match these dimensions, the Quad may, at its discretion, either (1) stretch the materials up to 10% vertically and/or horizontally to fit the space purchased, or (2) proportionally scale the materials up or down to fit the vertical or horizontal dimension of the space purchased, leaving intact any resulting white space. The Quad is not responsible for the appearance of ads when materials submitted do not match the dimensions of the ad purchased.
- Advertising materials must be received no later than 6 p.m. on the Thursday prior to publication. All materials should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Quad cannot guarantee the positioning of advertising within an issue, although we attempt to honor position requests when practical.