All of West Chester University’s offered languages were out on the Academic Quad last Monday from 9 AM to 3 PM to promote various clubs, organizations and study abroad programs. Students were invited to float around the tables with passports to be stamped by the students and professors running the tables, provided they learn about the culture or language displayed on the table in some way. Students who received stamps from all the language tables were eligible to win a prize. Along the way, students were given flags of various countries, candy, stationary and information on the various languages that WCU has to offer.
- WCU currently offers eight Arabic courses: ARB 101, 102, 201, 202, 301 and 302, as well as 103 (intensive Arabic for beginners) and 205 (intensive intermediate Arabic).
- Contact Dr. Mahmoud Amer @MAmer@wcupa.edu for more information.
- Immersion Chinese Language Study is available in the third summer session on campus. It is an intensive program targeting improving conversational skills for beginning and intermediate Chinese learners. Upon completing the program, students will gain three credits.
- Study Abroad in China at Guizhou University.
- Chinese Club meetings are held every other week and include activities such as calligraphy, games, movies, cooking and a trip to Chinatown or the Philadelphia Cherry Blossom Festival.
- Contact Dr. Yunong Zhou @firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- WCU offers a minor in Latin, elementary and intermediate level Biblical Hebrew, and first, second and third year Greek
- Contact Professor John Rosso @JRosso@wcupa.edu or Dr. Anne-Marie Moscatell @AMoscatelli@wcupa.edu for more information.
- The Deaf Studies Program offers both ASL and Deaf Studies as a minor.
- ASL Club meets on some Mondays at 7:30 p.m. Check out their Instagram @wcu_aslclub to follow their page and announcements.
- Contact Dr. Stefanie Amiruzzaman @SAmiruzzaman@wcupa.edu for more information.
- Study Abroad in France with their new program with IAU in Aix-en-Provence.
- French Club focuses on international culture along with French culture and visits international themed events near WCU. You can sign up on RamConnect.
- Contact Dr. Brigitte Goutal @BGoutal@wcupa.edu for more information.
- Study Abroad in Vienna, Austria this summer and earn up to six German credits.
- German Club activities include attending plays, watching German and Austrian films, attending talks at the Department of Germanic Languages at the University of Pennsylvania and eating in German-themed restaurants.
- Contact Dr. Joseph Moser @JMoser2@wcupa.edu for more information.
- Study Abroad programs are available in Florence, Rome and Sorrento.
- Italian Club activities include making Italian dinners, playing traditional Italian games in the academic Quad, visiting the Tenement Museum in NYC and visiting Little Italy in Philadelphia and NYC. You can follow the Italian Club on Instagram @wcupaitalianclub.
- Contact Dr. Metello Mugnai @MMugnai@wcupa.edu for more information.
- Study abroad with the exchange program between West Chester University and Hosei University, Japan.
- Study abroad with the Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme.
- Japanese Club provides a medium through which students can share their enjoyment of Japanese language and culture with others as well as gain ethnic awareness and appreciation for diversity. Sign up for Japanese Club on RamConnect or join their Facebook group: WCU Japan Club.
- Contact Dr. Naoko Rotunno @NRotunno@wcupa.edu for more information.
- WCU offers a minor in Linguistics.
- The Linguistics Club talks about languages and linguistics in addition to organizing field trips and hosting guest presentations.
- Contact Dr. Israel Sanz-Sánchez @email@example.com for more information.
- Study abroad programs are available in St. Petersburg, Moscow and Ufa.
- The Russian Club provides many opportunities for students to explore the language and culture through meetings, games and field trips.
- Contact Dr. Alice Speh @ASpeh@wcupa.edu for more information.
- Study abroad in Salamanca or Barcelona, Spain and at the Universidad Nacional in Heredia, Costa Rica.
- Teach abroad in Guanacaste, Costa Rica.
- Spanish Club meets weekly and holds movie nights, fundraisers and trips to NYC.
- Contact Dr. Jason Bartles @JBartles@wcupa.edu for more information.
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Get your Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Second Language.
- The PDE ESL Program Specialist Certificate Program (PDEEPS): teach ESL in public schools
- Contact Dr. Jelena Colovic-Markovic @firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.