The West Chester University men’s soccer team fluctuated last week with two pivotal games of the season, breaking PSAC records to win one and entering double overtime in another.

The Golden Rams started the week off home at Rockwell Field Wednesday afternoon in their match-up with the University of Pittsburgh-Johnstown. The team hit on all cylinders and shut out the Mountain Lions by a margin, 6-0.

Despite the rain on Wednesday, the Golden Rams fought consistently, making PSAC history. To open the exciting match, Brett Glasco of West Chester connected with sophomore Miguel Ross who was racing down the field and registered the first goal of the game 11 seconds in, becoming the fastest goal from the start of a game in PSAC history. Lock Haven’s Joe Kadelski previously held the PSAC record by scoring 18 seconds into a match against St. Thomas Aquinas on Sept. 22, 1999. In addition, Ross’s goal was tied for the sixth fastest from the start of the game in Division II men’s soccer history.

Senior Tommy Ryan continued on his hot streak with two goals in the first half, then tacking on an assist later in the match. Freshman Giovanni Mowrey found Ryan for his first goal that deflected into the back of the net and off of the goalie’s shoulder.

West Chester’s Alex Lean then set Ryan up for his sixth goal of the season with a beautiful shot into the upper right corner of the net. In the second half, Ryan returned the favor recording the assist for Lean who put West Chester in a commanding lead. The West Chester sideline went wild, pinning four unstoppable goals over the Johnstown defense.

At the 50th minute mark, Ross posted his second goal of the game with the assist coming from Lean. Two goals down and a PSAC record broken marked a stunning game day for Miguel Ross. 

To wrap up the match, West Chester’s David Green registered the last goal of the game, which came off a penalty kick closing the win, 6-0.

Pittsburgh-Johnstown’s Nate Kleya made nine saves in goal in his 90 minutes of play. Freshman Matt Palmer saw action, as well, recording five saves in his 59 minutes of play. Phil Horan made two saves in the goal within 30 minutes to help secure the shutout for the Golden Rams.

West Chester then traveled to Greensburg, Pa. on Saturday, Oct. 25 for a PSAC matchup against Seton Hill University who snuck by with penalty kicks in double overtime.

West Chester trailed early in the contest as Seton Hill’s Ben Alport found the back of the net off of a free kick from 30 yards out at the six-minute mark. The Golden Rams answered as Ryan setup freshman Tim French on a corner kick, allowing French to head the hall in to tie it up, 1-1.

Battling back and forth, neither team hit the net until the matchup found itself in double overtime.  Seton Hill’s Joe Tchimou recorded the game winning goal off of a penalty kick.

Palmer (7-4) recorded five saves, while giving up two goals in 106 minutes of action for the Golden Rams. Seton Hill’s Cameron Evans picked up the win, making two saves and only allowing one goal in the double overtime contest.

West Chester has two regular season games left. They are both at home, but they are facing two very good teams. With the PSAC postseason looming, every game matters so much. The Golden Rams are sitting at third in the standings right now, and Slippery Rock, the opponent for the final regular season matchup is just three points behind West Chester. If West Chester can win against Slippery Rock they have a good chance to secure a spot in the PSAC postsesason tournament. And once your in the postseason, anything can happen.

The squad will look to bounce back as they return home for a PSAC matchup with California University of Pennsylvania on Oct. 31 at 2:30 p.m.

Gianna Seeney is a third-year student majoring in communications with a minor in journalism. She can be reached at

Leave a Comment