Sat. Jul 27th, 2024

Can you guess which of these campus subgroups are considered priority populations for the tobacco industry? a. First-year college students b. Fraternity and sorority members c. Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered (LGBT) students d. College athletes e. Women f. Art students g. All of the above h. None of the above The answer is “g.” However, you can fight back by refusing to smoke. In reality, a majority of college students nationwide donʼt smoke, which is also the case here at WCU. Within the minority of student smokers nationwide, only a minority are every day smokers. The majority of students smoke infrequently (a couple of times each week or month), and are referred to as “social smokers.” Studies have shown that smoking just four cigarettes can give a person a 90 percent chance of becoming addicted. “Social smoking” can create psychological bonds between socializing and smoking cigarettes, which might cement into a serious addiction. SWAT (Students Working Against Tobacco) and the Wellness Center are sponsoring Kick Butts Day on April 13 from 10 to 3 p.m. at Sykes Union. Here students can receive Tobacco Cessation “Quit Kits,” have their carbon monoxide (CO) levels monitored, win T-shirts and more.

SWAT is also offering students the opportunity to send free “I Care” grams to smokers and social smokers on campus. “I Care” grams include a gourmet lollipop, quit tips, and a list of local resources. “Caregivers” will also receive a gourmet lollipop and tips for helping friends and loved ones quit smoking. “I Care” grams will be delivered on Kick Butts Day and can be obtained at Lawrence Dining Hall on April 4 during Mondayʼs dinner hour, at Sykes Union Food Court on April 5 during the lunch rush, or anytime at the Wellness Center from April 4 through April 8.

Free medication and tobacco cessation assistance can be obtained at the Health Center by calling (610) 436-2509. Call the Wellness Center at (610) 436-3276 to find out more about Hypnosis for Cessation and other smoking cessation programs offered on campus.

You may be a target for tobacco companies, but you donʼt have to be in their scopes any longer. Help each other in creating a new image of the college student, a healthy student.