As the first semester of the year begins to come to a close, students are finding themselves tightly wrung around their schedules. I myself have a habit of countless list-making to keep everything in order. Whether you are a full-time student, taking six classes, constant meetings, or a part-time student with a full-time job and have rent to pay; things can get pretty hectic. Having a busy schedule also comes with a lot of stress; then to factor in finals above it all? High levels of stress can lead to medical and social problems. It can also lead to weight fluctuation and dropping out of school for many students. There must be some way to help manage everything.

A simple, yet effective way to manage your day-to-day life is to organize. Keep a separate binder for every class. Buy a daily planner with enough space to fill in, not just homework assignments but appointments, meetings, and any other activity. File any paid bills in a folder, and keep unpaid bills in another folder on your desk. If the folder is not enough, mark due dates of bills on your calendar or set your phone to ring two days before a bill is due. That way nothing is ever late. Once your obligations are under control, focus can turn to relaxation.

Try and find yourself time every day. Even if it is just for five minutes, it can really make a difference. Lay on your back, with your eyes closed, and focus on your breathing. Try and keep your mind clear of any worries or doubts you may have. This is especially effective during midterms and finals. If you have more time for yourself, do whatever relaxes you! Take a walk, a bath, watch a television program, whip out that Ghirardelli chocolate you’ve been saving for a special occasion.

If you find you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket during the stressful season, a massage can be a very relaxing tool. You can shop around and find a half hour to an hour massage for as low as 40 dollars. Afterwards, your muscles feel relaxed from all that tension you have been carrying.

Of course, making time for friends is important, but taking care of yourself should always be a top priority. When it comes to college students, stress management is a key factor in having a successful experience.

Melanie is a second-year student majoring in communication studies. She can be reached at MP649178@wcupa.edu