Two girls were rushed to the hospital after being struck by a car on the campus of West Chester University Tuesday evening.The girls, Shaneka Joy Gillard, 20, and Angela Stewart, 19, were walking in the crosswalk in front of Sykes.

The accident occurred around 8:45 p.m. in the 100 block of W. Rosedale Ave. in West Chester.

According to police, the two victims were struck in front of the university’s student union building. It is still unconfirmed as to whether the victims were students.

One victim was airlifted to the hospital of the University of Pennsylvania with serious injuries. The second person was taken to a local hospital with unknown injuries.

According to investigators, the driver of the striking vehicle stopped at the scene.

The driver, identified as Ann Hayes, 51, of New Providence, Lancaster County, reportedly told police that she momentarily looked away from the road and did not see the pedestrians.

Hayes was reportedly “not aware of this area and bent down” while driving, West Goshen Police Capt. Joseph Gleason said.

The 100 block of W. Rosedale Ave. was blocked off for most of the night, as the scene was investigated.

No further information about the accident has been released to the public at this time, although investigations are still taking place.

Jenn Rothstein is a third year student majoring in English education. She can be reached at quadnews@wcupa.edu.