Tue. Apr 23rd, 2024

Interested in seeing a movie but don’t have the available funds and/or transportation to get to the nearest theater? No problem! Catching a great film can be easily done right here on campus for a reasonable price. Sykes Union Theater, located on the ground floor of Sykes, offers a current movie every week. Thursday through Sunday movies are shown at 8 p.m., with additional showings at midnight on Thursday and Friday nights. Ticket prices with a student Ram-e card are $1 with Ram Bucks and $2 without Ram Bucks. Here is a preview of the movies that will be playing over the course of the semester.September 14 – 17: “The Da Vinci Code”: A Ron Howard adaptation of the best-selling novel by Dan Brown, the film follows symbology expert, Dr. Robert Langdon (Tom Hanks) as he deciphers a set of clues that could uncover one of the greatest mysteries in mankind: the bloodline of Christ.

September 21 – 24: “The Break-Up”: A romantic comedy starring Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn. Brooke (Aniston) and Gary (Vaughn) have just ended a long- term relationship and are now faced with the decision of who is to move out of their shared condo first. With both refusing to budge, the two ensue mental anguish while attempting to repair their broken relationship.

September 28 – October 1: “Superman Returns”: In the latest installment of the comic classic, Clark Kent returns to Earth after a five year stay on his home planet, Krypton. Upon his return he finds his arch nemesis Lex Luther back to his old scheming ways. In true Superman fashion, he is called upon to return order and safety to the world.

October 5 – 8: “Pirates of the Caribbean-Dead Man’s Chest”: Captain Jack Sparrow is at it again in this action packed sequel. Sparrow finds himself amidst misfortune as he attempts to escape the blood debt owed to ghost pirate legend, Davey Jones.

October 19 – 23: “Lady in the Water”: Another thriller courtesy of director M.Night Shyamalan (The Village, The Sixth Sense). Cleveland Heep (Paul Giamatti), an apartment complex maintenance worker, encounters a mysterious woman in the ground’s pool. Heep quickly discovers that she is no ordinary woman, but rather a character from an unknown world.

October 26 – 29 : “You, Me, and Dupree”: Owen Wilson plays Randy Dupree, a houseguest who quickly overstays his welcome in his best friend’s home. Newlyweds Molly (Kate Hudson) and Carl (Matt Damon) are just beginning to settle into married life when Dupree’s antics begin stir up trouble in their new home.

November 2 – 5: “Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby”: Not much can be said for a comedy that stars Will Ferrell besides the fact that it has to be awesome. Ferrell stars as Nascar sensation Ricky Bobby as he climbs to number one status with fellow driving partner Cal Naughton Jr. (John C. Reilly).

November 9 – 12: “Clerks II”: In the sequel to the cult comedy classic Clerks, Director Kevin Smith brings us up to speed with Quick Stop employees, Dante and Randal. The two have moved on from their jobs at the convenience store and begin reeking havoc at the fictional fast-food restaurant, Mooby’s.

November 16 – 19: “Accepted”: To fool his parents and after many rejections, Bartleby Gaines (Justin Long) decides to create his own university. As the student population begins to grow at his fictional college Gaines must find away to educate his friends and classmates.

Stay tuned to The Quad for films anticipated for the spring.