Mon. Jan 17th, 2022

Do all those food choices at Lawrence’s buffet, Ram’s Head, or any of the other dining facilities around campus have you nervous about putting on a few pounds? Many freshmen are worried about gaining the “Freshman 15,” but you have no need to worry because there are plenty of places around campus to help you in your fight to stay fit. Even if you are not the type of person who wants to commit yourself to an intercollegiate sport, or even an intramural or club sport, you can find other ways of getting your exercise. The streets of West Chester are very scenic and a lot of fun to jog or walk on. Running comes in first for burning the most calories, power walking comes in second, and biking comes in third. You can increase the amount of calories you burn while running by throwing in some quick surges of speed instead of just running at a steady pace throughout your run. If you aren’t quite ready to take a jog, power walking is a great alternative. Natural pain killers called endorphins, are released when you exercise so next time you are stressed out, take a brisk walk, jog, or go to the gym and let your natural endorphins stop your stress.

On North Campus, there is a great gym with treadmills, elliptical trainers, bikes, Stairmasters, free weights and many weight lifting machines. The music is always playing throughout the gym to keep you motivated. If you have your own music interests just bring your iPod, mp3 player, or CD player and jam to your own music while getting a great workout. Since the treadmills are very popular machines, you may want to sign up for one ahead of time. For a time slot simply ask the person at the front desk in the gym to reserve the treadmill for you.

If you enjoy swimming, there are two pools on campus- one in Hollinger Fieldhouse on North Campus and one on South Campus in the Graham Natatorium.

Open recreational gyms on campus include the Hollinger Fieldhouse and the Ehinger Gym. The hours of operation for all athletic facilities can be found on West Chester University’s website, so find a time when you can get out there and make a difference in your health.

Exercising at the gym is a great way to meet new people and spend time with your friends. Of course, you have to pair exercise and healthy eating together in order to stay fit, so consider these slight, yet important changes in your diet to help you stay fit.

-Grab a glass of water instead of a glass of soda or juice.

-Ditch the elevator and take the stairs.

-Substitute a handful of mixed nuts for a bunch of pretzels- nuts will satisfy your hunger for longer as well as give you protein to repair your muscles after a work out.

-Keep a bag of carrots in your fridge to cure a late night case of the munchies.

-Watch your portions at the buffet, stack up the veggies and lay off the french fries and bacon.

-Avoid eating “heavy” foods right before you go to bed.

-When you go out to eat, choose items that say they are grilled, baked, or roasted instead of fried.

-Try substituting a piece of fruit or JELLO for dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth.

-Don’t let yourself get too hungry, it is better to eat more little meals during the day so that your blood sugar levels don’t experience extreme highs and lows.

-Find a workout buddy to keep you motivated and don’t forget to reward yourself every once in awhile, one cookie won’t hurt you. We all need a sweet fix and it won’t blow your healthy eating!

As you can see, there are many options when considering where to get your exercise! All of the information you need regarding times and location can be found on West Chester’s website, so next time you are surfing the web, check out the hours of operation!