Sat. Apr 20th, 2024

As West Chester University ?s campus expands and diversifies, so do its organizations which strive to represent the ever changing campus climate.The Black and Latino Greek Council (BLGC) is one of those organizations. Formerly entitled Black Greek Council (BGC), the sundry club changed its name to include the Latino fraternities and sororities.

Formed in 1998, the BLGC has come a long way, providing programs that seem to revitalize West Chester?s rather dry campus. Despite the recent lack of enthusiasm from the campus, BLGC managed to pull off an entire week filled with activities that attracted a huge crowd and livened up a lackluster semester.

Barbecues, movie socials, step exhibitions and a step show were all in a week?s work for BLGC. During April 19-22, they celebrated the weather with several activities. Speakers encouraged students while the aroma from the barbecue clouded the spring air and students assembled in the residential quad on the first day of BLGC week.

As students passed through the walkway of the newly built Universitythey were flooded with burnt out students channeling their fatigue of overwhelming schoolwork into leisure time. Many female students were reminded of the care- free days of their adolescence as they jumped rope, while basketball tournaments caughtother students? attention. Others socialized and caught up with friends.

BLGC?s week ended with a step show dedicated to a former Greek of WCU who passed away. People crowded the doors of Hollinger Gym to be entertained by the fraternities and sororities. In spite of its Greek affiliations, BLGC provides programming for the campus and aims to rejuvenate a once spirited diverse campus community.

Anyone interested in joining the BLGC should contact their office in Sykes Student Union.