Mon. Apr 29th, 2024

From Feb. 15 to Feb. 20, the West Chester University Theatre Department performed their version of the play “Bus Stop,” written by William Inge. The play involves the unique experiences of eight people who become stranded late one night in a roadside diner in Kansas City during a snowstorm. “Bus Stop,” directed by Dr. Harvey Rovine, takes place entirely in “Graceʼs Diner,” a small, country-style rest stop. The dinerʼs owner and namesake, Grace Hoylard, was played by Zita Ramsay. Assisting Grace in running the diner is Elma Duckworth, a bright high school student who dreams of going to college and finding a boyfriend. Elma, portrayed by Jamie Soltis, was excellent and well-suited for the role.

Some of the most entertaining conflicts in the play took place between Cherie (Alicia J. Kelly), a nightclub singer and Bo Decker (Patrick Kane), a cowboy from Montana who is in love with her and wants to take her back to his ranch. As the play develops, we learn that Bo has forced Cherie on the bus against her will. As the two come to terms with their feelings for one another, there are moments both touching and hilarious.

Another interesting character was Dr. Gerald Lyman, a traveling ex-professor who seeks to escape the restrictions of authority and society. The elderly professor, played enthusiastically by Nate Black, seems to have an affection for young girls, which proves to be a problem when he meets Elma.

The other eccentric characters in the play include Will Masters (Matt Gaget) the sheriff of the town and peacekeeper between Cherie and Bo. Gaget was great in this role with his warmth and booming laugh.

Also adding humor to the play is Carl (Paul Decker) as the bus driver who is carrying on a secret affair with Grace. Then there is the cowboy, Virgil Blessing (Chris Plough), Boʼs guitar-playing sidekick. Plough portrayed one of the most subtle and yet poignant roles in the play.

The sets and costumes were particularly excellent in this performance, with the rustic diner assembled perfectly. It was in general a fun, easy play, with interesting and relatable characters. The cast performed to a completely full house, and it was altogether another fine roduction from our Theatre Arts Department.