Thu. May 9th, 2024

If you are just now starting to search for summer internships or jobs, donʼt worry, youʼre right on schedule. Now is the time when job and internship fairs are being held, both on-campus and off. There will be a summer job fair in Sykes from 12-4 p.m. on Wednesday, March 30, with over 60 companies searching for new hires for part-time and summer jobs as well as internships. These are excellent opportunities to contact as many hiring companies as possible in one shot. Be sure to bring plenty of copies of your edited and double-checked resume. It always looks fantastic when a potential intern or employee is prepared. But what if the job fairs fall on days when you simply cannot make it? The Internet is an obvious solution that can be accessed 24/7. However, such a wide variety of possibilities can be daunting and overwhelming.

To break it down, look at sites specific to your major or area of expertise or interest, or take a look at sites such as www.monster. com that specialize in job or internship searching.

If the Web sites are too impersonal, the greatest tool a college student has at his or her disposal is the universityʼs career development center. West Chesterʼs Twardowski Career Development Center, located at 106 Lawrence, is an excellent resource and guidebook in finding internships and jobs. They offer students everything careerrelated, from individual career planning to resume critiquing. Additionally, they can be a link to your summer job or internship and beyond.

Through beneficial workshops and programs, the center ʼs efficient staff can help ease your nerves and prepare you for your future. There are binders upon binders color-coded for each major and areas of interest for students to browse for jobs and internships.

Once you have decided on several companies, the center offers on-campus interviews where numerous businesses come to West Chester University seeking new minds and talents.

The Career Development Center is also studentsʼ link to getting their resume and name out there on the Internet through College Central. Here, employers can seek out students whom they feel fit their job or internship requirements and set up interviews.

Not only does the center help pave the way to a job or internship opportunities, it equips you with the tools needed to make the journey just a little bit smoother.