Sun. Jan 23rd, 2022

Feeling nauseous? Having stomach cramps? Experiencing a loss of appetite? A plethora of students with the previous symptoms have been regulars at the WCU Student Health and Wellness Center this semester. According to Robyn Spragins, Assistant Director at the Health Center, although there has not been a full-blown outbreak of this “stomach bug,” the Health Center has seen a greater amount of cases than usual within the past month.

This is typically the time of year when the virus, gastroenteritis, is most prevalent. The Health Center staff has not seen any patterns as to where the illness is spreading, such as common dorm buildings, specific floors, etc.

The gastroenteritis symptoms last for 2-3 days, and students usually feel achy on the second day. Assistant Director Robyn Spragins said that the most important action for one to take if he or she is experiencing the symptoms is to stay hydrated. Students should sip clear, caloric fluids throughout the day, and avoid milk and milk products.

If a student becomes dizzy or cannot control vomiting or diarrhea, he or she should seek medical attention. The nurses at the Health Center welcome any calls if a student is feeling ill and would like more information.

To prevent the sickness from spreading, nurse Spragins advises to wash one’s hands frequently and to avoid sharing drinks with others. For more information, visit the WCU Student Health and Wellness Center webpage or call 610-436-2509.

Carol Fritz is a West Chester University student. She can be reached at CF716022@wcupa.edu.