Sat. May 18th, 2024

There is an organization on campus that provides a great opportunity for women to share their experiences and problems in a caring and supportive environment. This group goes by the name P.L.U.S. which stands for Phenomenal Ladies of Unique Sizes. P.L.U.S. is an organization that recognizes the need for support and encouragement for women who do not fit into the prescribed stereotypes of beauty. Since these women often face many added strains on their selfesteem and self-image, group support is an ideal way to build confidence and grow as an individual. The goal of P.L.U.S. is to teach female students how to love their bodies no matter how big or small. They also aim to break down the restrictive stereotypes that are placed upon women.

This group meets for about an hour every week to discuss topics such as positive self-esteem, body image, guys, relationships, stress, dating and cultural awareness. Each week has a different topic and group members are encouraged to share their own personal problems and experiences at any time. Listening to and supporting one other are the main priorities of P.L.U.S. participants, and each meeting provides an opportunity to learn and emotionally grow. As group member Shena Winder says, “I keep coming back because it’s a good time with women who are going through the same issues with relationships, emotions, and image. It’s a good place to get off what’s on your chest.”

P.L.U.S. was founded in 2001 by former student Nicole Scott who saw a need for a group that could foster positive feelings among women of varying sizes and body types. The group members make a pledge to themselves to remain positive in the face of difficulties that they may encounter and to love themselves and those around them. As their official pledge states, “Today I pledge to be as good as I can be. I know I am good, but I know I can be better. Today I pledge to build tomorrow’s success on today’s dreams….Today I pledge to look for new fears to overcome, new risks to take, new friends to love. Today I pledge to listen to the music of my heart. Today I pledge.”

Students of all sizes, shapes, nationalities and religions are encouraged to participate in this organization. P.L.U.S. is often thought of as a group exclusively for women who are struggling with being heavier then society’s ideal female, but members want to get rid of this stereotype. All women and men on campus are welcome at the meetings which take place every Monday evening at 5:00 p.m. at the Women’s Center.

The Women’s Center is located on the second floor of the Lawrence Center. There are even a few members who are not students, but are residents of the West Chester area. One such member, Marva Belmonti had this to say about the group: “I keep coming back because they keep me young. The more things change, the more they stay the same.” A graduate assistant and president share the responsibilities of organizing group meetings and discussions. Although each meeting has specific topics that are focused on, all members are more then willing to dedicate time to a student who needs extra support that week.

These are women who are focused on cohesive caring and nurturing while gaining emotional strength through shared experiences. They have chosen to allow themselves to grow beyond the stereotypes of society and refuse to judge their worth by the size of their clothing. As their flyer states, “The art of a woman’s beauty is built deep within her soul.” Inner beauty is stressed as the most important factor in evaluating one’s worth, and selfacceptance and love are seen as achievable goals.

P.L.U.S. hopes to remain a place where students can come to give and receive emotional support for all kinds of problems. Group leaders are currently trying to organize a fashion show for members that can showcase the confidence and positive message that the organization promotes.

Increases in meeting attendance will allow for a stronger and more diverse group that can continue to provide a unique type of support for students all across campus. In a world that often stresses conformity and standards, P.L.U.S. is a truly innovative idea that can be appreciated by women of all sizes. Learning to love one’s body is not always easy, but this organization makes this goal a lot easier to achieve.