Thu. May 2nd, 2024

West Chester University’s University Theatre will present “tick.tick.BOOM,” a musical that opens in mid-February.It was written by Jonathan Larson who also created Rent. West Chester University Senior Andrew Lowry will direct this production which will take place February 12-15 in the Emilie K. Asplundh Concert Hall. University Theatre (UT) meets on Mondays at 10 p.m. said president of the group Andrew Lowry. Lowry also said there are between 100-125 students involved in the group.

The cast of the upcoming production is completely made up of West Chester University students. The main cast includes Matthew Whalen as Jonathan Larson, Tabitha Allen as his girlfriend Susan, Billy Kametz as his best friend Michael and a four member ensemble that includes Ashley Eidam, Jackie Chilcote, Connor McAndrews and Douglas Atkins.

Additionally, the production team includes choreographer Malia Piazza, musical director Dan Pardo and stage manager Jackie Read.

The design team includes a set design by Josh Moser, lighting design by Philip Romako, and costume design by Jenna McLaughlin.

The musical is the story of Jonathan Larson, a struggling composer who is about to turn 30 and sees his life going nowhere. He’s stuck waiting tables, eager and hopeful to find success. His girlfriend is pressuring him to get married and move out of the city while his best friend sold out to work on Madison Avenue and earn the big bucks. Jon however, is still trying to write the great American musical. The production takes you on Larson’s journey to create the Broadway production Rent. The show is set in 1990 and is full of appealing melodies and a unique combination of pop and musical theatre style music.

Everyone, young and old will enjoy this charming, thoughtful and energetic piece. Keeping sight of the dreams through the most difficult of times is a central theme throughout the production.

The production opens on February 12th at 7:30. Performances will be on February 13-14th at 8 p.m and February 14-15th at 2 p.m. All performances take place in the Emilie K. Asplundh Concert Hall on the campus of West Chester University.

For tickets, visit the box office or call 610-436-3463. Tickets for this production will be $10.

University Theatre will also be performing Trojan Woman by Euripides.

See Theater page 11

This is a powerful tribute to the courage of humankind in the face of challenges.

After 10 years’ blockade, Troy has fallen to the Greeks. King Priam’s widow, Hecuba and other women of the destroyed city are being held slaves by their conquerors.

As they grieve their current disasters, they become aware of other tragedies still to come. Trojan Woman will be directed by Harvey Rovine and will be performed in the Madeleine Wing Adler Theatre. Shows will be March 26 at 7:30, March 27-28 at 8 pm and March 29 at 2 p.m.

In addition to these performances, University Theatre performs at least four productions every year, one of which is a musical. They also annually perform One Acts which are student written, directed, designed and performed. Additionally they provide technical assistance to the fall and spring University Dance Company performances.

Aside from performances and technical work, University Theatre participates in the Homecoming Parade and has won the competition for the last five years. University Theatre is active in community service and outreach programs.

The biggest service project University Theatre is involved is an annual AIDS Benefit that they hold. This event includes several performances as well as a silent auction where all of the proceeds get donated to Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. Over the last eight years, UT has raised $23,000 for the cause.

Another outreach program UT is involved in is the annual High School Theatre Festival. For 26 years, UT has brought area high schools to the University to perform one act plays, participate in workshops and experience a taste of a college theatre programs. University Theatre also hosts many other events including a Welcome Back Picnic, movie nights, open mic nights and 24 hour theatre project among others.

Jamie Lissauer can be reached at JL666755wcupa.edu.