Sat. Apr 20th, 2024

This past weekend, the WCU men’s and women’s track teams were able to celebrate some individual accomplishments as four of their athletes qualified for the PSAC championships.Freshman Andrew Furst and sophomore Josh Bacon qualified from the men’s team, while Sophomores Lyndsey Ratasiewicz and C.J. Jacob made it from the women’s team.

They accomplished the feat on Saturday afternoon at the DeSchriver Invitational held at the Koehler Fieldhouse on the campus of East Stroudsburg University.

Andrew Furst finished fourth in the high jump event, clearing a height of 6-1 to secure his spot at the PSACs.

Josh Bacon placed sixth in the 55m dash with a time of 6.73 seconds to earn his spot.

As for the rest of the men’s team, sophomore Leighon Johnson finished third in the 55m dash with a time of 6.64 seconds.

Also, Craig Espenshade, a sophomore, was the runner-up in the 400m race after posting a time of 50.66. Espenshade’s time was the third-best time in WCU history.

Junior Matt Houser managed a fourth place finish in the 400m with a time of 51.38 seconds for the Golden Rams. That finish was good for seventh place all-time in school history.

For the women’s team, Ratasiewicz captured her place at the PSAC’s by finishing fourth in the 800m with a time of 2 minutes, 25.97 seconds. Her time was good for 10th best in school history.

Jacob placed third in the long jump with a distance of 16 feet, 7 ¬ inches to secure her spot at the championships.

Also for the Golden Rams, sophomore Dana Dietrich managed a second place finish in the triple jump event by traveling a distance of 35-5 ¬ inches. Her distance was the fifth best in school history.

Katie Butler, a sophomore, cemented her own place in WCU history after clearing 5-5 in the high jump event. It was good enough for third place in the event and second-best ever at WCU. She also placed second in the 55m hurdles event.

Brittany Foye, another of WCU’s standout sophomore’s, won the long jump event with a distance of 17-4 3 ¬. Foye’s jump was the third-best jump in school history.

Freshman Mary Gawbill finished fifth in the 800m behind teammate Ratasiewicz.

The WCU Golden Ram track and field teams will next be competing on Feb. 13 when they head to the Lafayette-Rider Invitational.

It was also a good week for a member of the Golden Rams coaching staff. Assistant coach Eric Broadbent, who usually spends his time behind the bench, qualified for the USA Indoor Combined Events Championships in the heptathlon. Broadbent qualified at the Bison Open held at Bucknell University on Jan. 31.

Broadbent, a WCU alum scored 5573 points, on route to winning six of the seven events to capture first place overall.

It was only the second time in his career that he competed in the heptathlon event.

The USA Indoor Combined Events Championships, which are a part of the US National Indoor Track & Field Championships, are scheduled to be held at Chapel Hill, N.C. on March 7-8, 2009.

Colin McGlinchey is a fourth-year student majoring in English with a minor in Journalism. He can be reached at CM646588@wcupa.edu.