Mon. May 20th, 2024

West Chester University Contemporary Issues Series hosted critically acclaimed, award-winning filmmaker Zeke Zelker and his controversial film “In Search Of” along with a student led discussion panel on Tuesday, Feb. 10 in the Sykes Student Union Theater. “Sex is why we’re all here.and something we all know about,” states writer, director and producer, Zeke Zelker, an Allentown, Pa. native who has made a highly controversial film about the sexual relations and repercussions of people who are connected to one another through an “intense” twisting plot. Although “In Search Of” was originally written as a romantic comedy, over the eleven years it took Zelker to complete the script the story has gone through radical changes.

“Ever since I made this film…people have literally censored me,” comments Zelker. “Art is like a muscle, it takes resistance to grow,” is a common motto of Zelker and rings true for his film.

“People not letting the film be, is making it stronger to the core.” His film made its first debut at the Allentown Symphony Hall, where the theater hosting the screening stated that people under the age of 18 were not permitted in the theater, although the theater manager had not yet seen the film. There are no scenes of sexual acts in the film because “everyone knows,” according to Zelker.

“Responsibility and owning your sexuality,” are the main focuses of Zelker’s film. Throughout the film, the characters use sex in many different ways. Some characters use sex in destructive ways, others, in positive ways, both having consequences. These scenarios include using sex to get what they want, for money, to prove manhood, to start a family, to feel important or to get attention and for payback.

In the end, we see that the sexual choices the characters have irresponsibly made will come back at them and they’ll have to learn to take responsibility for their actions.

There are also many religious undertones and symbols throughout the movie, which could attribute to Zelker’s mother being an ordained minister. The first scene of the movie is a preacher, preaching to a choir that is not listening and to an empty church. Symbols of crosses and bulls are also featured during scenes.

Jack, one of the main and most devious characters in the film, also has significance. Jack plays his own god, making decisions that will constantly have negative effects on other people. He is “everything and nothing,” and acts as the drive of the film, according to Zelker.

Among interviewers were Robin Garrett, West Chester Nursing Department faculty member and former director of the Women’s Center, along Patrick Graham, Dionna Childs, Jennie Sherlock, Spencer Wright and Cynthia Hackl, a West Chester student and actress in the film.

“It’s important to work to put sex and sexuality in context as who we are as human beings. There’s an exaggerated sense of importance of sexual activity in our lives, we think of sex as a commodity. High quality conversation just doesn’t happen,” said Robin Garrett in agreement to Zeke Zelker’s comments about taking responsibility for sexuality and having conversations with sexual partners about sexual history. She states that sexual knowledge decreases the rate of unplanned pregnancy and STDs.

“People have sex more on the internet than they do in real life,” Zelker states, people are oversexed by visualization, since ads, commercials, songs and movies are so popular and feature prominent sexual slogans, images and tones. He asks, would sexual openness bring down sexual violence?

“People are afraid to have these conversations about sexual history.take responsibility, look people straight in the eyes” declares Zelker.

During the audition process Zelker questioned the interviewees if they had a condom on them during the interview. Although many initially said no, eventually a few confessed that they were carrying condoms on them. Most of the people that confessed to having protection with them were females. Zelker says that by age 15, 67 percent of women lost their virginity and by age 18, 87 percent have lost their virginity.

“Sex should be explored.but no one talks about it. Why are sex and condoms so taboo?” asks Zelker, talking about the awkward feeling and reaction commonly spoken of when people are buying condoms in a store. “In Search Of,” is being sponsored by OneCondoms.com, a condom company, allowing him to hand out free condoms.

“Sexual education in America is ridiculous! Sexual education is paramount,” states Zelker as he explains how lawmakers are trying to make it more difficult for people to receive birth control and sexual education.

“Think twice before you act,” warns Zelker as he discusses Rutgers University, which is said to have a high rate of STDs among their students and is said to have their own strain of an STD, a mix between gonorrhea and syphilis.

Zelker’s grandfather opened Dorney Park in 1884 and Zelker’s first job was as a clown selling balloons in the park. Later, he was an actor in John Waters 1987 film “Hairspray.” Zelker’s mother is an ordained minister in Allentown, Pennsylvania.

“I’m a film director today because I love to tell stories,” comments Zelker, about dropping out of Syracuse University to film “In Search Of.” Although Zeke Zelker will be touring though April, he is encouraging students to friend him on Facebook and to view the film and comment on Hulu.com “If people believe in something strongly, they’ll go to extraordinary lengths.”

Joli McCarthy is a third-year student majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She can be reached at JM625940@wcupa.edu.