Fri. Jul 26th, 2024

April is National Poetry Month. It is a way to increase awareness of poetry in the world as well as a way to appreciate it. According to www.poets.org, this month gains attention from individuals, poets, poetic heritage and any forms of published poems. The celebration was first started in 1996 by the Academy of American Poets, and it has slowly grown every year in establishing itself as an important event. Poetry is emphasized strongly in April and is promoted by publishers, booksellers, poets and many others. April was chosen for poetry because it is a month during the school year. Many teachers and librarians can relate lesson plans for students during this time.

In April several poets wrote poetry and published it. T. S. Eliot wrote “April is the cruelest month.” National poetry month attempts to disprove that statement. Chaucer wrote about April and its showers. Edna St. Vincent Millay asked, “To what purpose, April, do you return again?” The Web site answers that it celebrates poetry.

Every year, the Academy creates and distributes nearly 200,000 official NPM posters free to teachers, librarians and booksellers nationwide. The Academy of American Poets has many events set up for this month.

One of the major events sponsored is the “10 Years/10 Cities” reading series. Poets perform readings at ten different cities in the country. There is also an annual event, Poetry and the Creative Mind. West Chester University now holds an annual poetry conference in April.

Any school, library, bookstore or organization can use the National Poetry Month logo to celebrate. They also can use any of the listed ways to celebrate the month and any teaching poetry tips provided on the Web site.

The Web site, www.poets.org lists 30 ways to celebrate the month. To become an active participant, join as a member of the Academy of American Poets. In this, people will obtain special benefits and privileges throughout the year. Another way to help support is by joining a poetry book club. Listen to others read their poetry by attending poetry events.

To celebrate, read some poetry or organize a poetry reading. What better way to celebrate the month than to listen to some poetry. Try to get inspired and go write personal thoughts.

Poetry month was created to show American poets accomplishments. By having a month for poetry, people will learn more of written poetry and enjoy it. This may increase publication, distribution and overall sales of poetry books. Another goal is to stress the significance of poetry and writing in schools’ syllabii.

The Academy recommends schools, bookstores and libraries to create a poetry book display, present a poetry reading or contest and more ideas. Included on the Web site are free lesson plans and tip sheets for teachers to introduce poetry to their students.

There are also tips for librarians about book displays, programs and discussions and more. Even booksellers can gain knowledge about marking and holding events.

To support the month long celebration of poetry, donations can be made to the Academy of American Poets. The occurrences during the month are publicized through the media. Articles relating to poetry are available in newspapers, magazines and online.

Poetry comes in many forms and styles. Acrostic, ballad, couplet, free verse, haiku, limerick and ode are just a few styles a person can choose from.

Poetry is one of the best ways to express one’s self, even if a person keeps what they write to themselves. It can be a freeing experience to write down how one feels on paper. Go home and write- write anything. Let thoughts come out through the pen and onto the paper. Try a free-verse poem. There are no set rules to writing.

Melanie Peterson is a first-year student majoring in communications studies. She can be reached at MP649178@wcupa.edu. t To celebrate, read some poetry or organize a poetry reading. What better way to celebrate the month then to listen to some poetry. Try to get inspired and go write personal thoughts. Poetry month was created to show American poets accomplishes. By having a month for poetry, people will learn more of written poetry and enjoy it. This may increase publication, distribution and overall sales of poetry books. Another goal is to stress the significance of poetry and writing in school syllabuses.

There are also tips for librarians about book displays, programs and discussions and more. Even booksellers can gain knowledge about marketing and holding events.

Poetry is one of the best ways to express one’s self, even if a person keeps what they write to themselves. It can be a freeing experience to write down how one feels on paper. Go home and write; write anything. Let thoughts come out through the pen and onto the paper. Try a free verse poem. There are no set rules to writing.

Melanie Peterson is a first-year student majoring in communication studies. She can be reached at MP649178@wcupa.edu.