Tue. Apr 23rd, 2024

It is that time again! West Chester University students are looking forward to their favorite day of the school year when gorillas and students, and students dressed up as gorillas come out to play. Yeah, that is right, it is Banana Day. After last year’s Banana Day, the decision was made that Banana Day would take a year off and start up again in 2009. Fearing that it would never restart and knowing how much this event evokes school spirit, the Off Campus and Commuter association (OCCA) organized Banana Day again for this year.

Banana Day is a special school spirit event only done here at WCU. It is a day to promote unity and civility because everyone can eat a banana.

This year Banana Day will be held on Wednesday, April 23. Six thousand bananas and 450 t-shirts will be given out at various locations on campus to promote this exciting day. There will be students dressed up as bananas and gorillas, with special appearances by Anna Banana as well as wcu mascot, Rammy. Miss WCU 2008, Miss Congeniality, and Mr. WCU 2008 will also be making special appearances all over campus to give out bananas.

Everyone wants a banana day t-shirt, but only those willing to go the extra mile will win one. Receiving a banana day t-shirt involves more effort than you may think. In the past, winners have received t-shirts for running around buildings under a certain time, banana eating contests in the shortest amount of time, as well as by seeing who can eat the most bananas in a minute.

This year’s Banana Day would not have been possible without the co-sponsorships of WCU Dining Services and 11 student organizations. Although it may seem far away, Banana Day is highly anticipated every year and will be here before we know it.

Jackie Aliotta is a third-year student majoring in communication studies. She can be reached at JA609350@wcupa.edu.