Tue. May 14th, 2024

According to students, professors, and West Chester residents, alcohol abuse among West Chester University students is a continuing problem that could get in the way of education. Studies show that 43 percent of all students have abused alcohol at some point during their college career, and 20 percent continue to abuse alcohol regularly. Many students say that at some point in their education, drinking has directly affected the quality or completion of their schoolwork. Mark Boeshore, 22, a recent graduate of West Chester University, says that although partying never hindered his academic success, he had “missed a class or two because of a hangover.” According to a West Chester University senior who wishes to remain anonymous, “Drinking and partying definitely gets in the way of schoolwork. Most of the time, I attempt to get my work done during the week so I can enjoy (going out) Thursday through Saturday.”

Unfortunately, not all students are able to balance their studies with party habits – many students’ grades suffer because of too much partying. Mike Kachuk, 22, remorsefully looks back at his first year at Penn State main campus, saying, “partying is what led me to come home and go to a local Penn State branch campus. I would party on the day before a big test, and I would fail the test, but I wouldn’t care.” For some students, making new friends at parties can seem more important than an education. However, new party-friends are not always what they seem. Kachuk says, “Most of my ‘friends’ were only friends when we were drinking. Does that make you real friends? No.” 

Many students have seen first-hand how partying can get in the way of academics. Boeshore further explains, “I had a couple of friends that either dropped out, changed majors, or had to stay extra years because of partying.” “I don’t think that partying is necessarily a bad thing, as long as it comes as a second priority to school work, which is where I saw a lot of my friends go wrong.” A 22-year-old West Chester University athlete who wishes to remain anonymous says, “There were two members of the team that partied too much and ended up leaving school.” 

Alcohol’s effects on performance do not go unnoticed by professors. Dr. Jeffrey Harris, a professor in the nutrition department at West Chester University, says that he thinks students drink too much. “It seems to be a college obsession and part of college culture to binge drink and get hammered for fun.” Harris has seen a student’s class performance suffer because of too much partying, and thinks some students value partying more than education. 

West Chester University professor Dr. Phillip Thompsen offers a different perspective. Thompsen says, “It has been my experience that most college students want to take time to enjoy themselves and their youth.” Thompsen goes on to say, “I think most college students achieve an appropriate balance between the demands of schoolwork and their desire for a satisfying social life.” Though Thompsen believes most students are capable of acting responsibly, he does admitsome students overdo it, “Unfortunately, sometimes a lack of maturity will lead to excess.”

The jury is still out on why college students choose to party so much, but university students and residents offered a few interesting perspectives. Boredom, socializing, newfound freedom, and the desire for attention are all possible reasons for drinking among college students.  One West Chester University student says that many of her peers go out purely to socialize, “When you live on campus, your main concern is socializing. Going out to bars or parties are ways that students can stay socially active, and meet new people.” Kate McNamara, a West Chester resident for over fifteen years, believes that students’ newfound freedom and independence is what keeps them partying at all hours of the night. McNamara, 36, lives on N. Walnut Street in with her husband, Chris Raws, and two small children. Her house is right next to a student rental property where she says she has witnessed many parties – some almost dangerous. “[Students are] away from their parents, so they think they can do whatever they want,” McNamara continues, “One night, [the party] got so out of control that students were actually jumping off the balcony. One of them landed in my bushes, right next to a large garden stake. They could have been impaled!”

Alcohol can be a big problem for university students. It can get in the way of academic success, present health and safety concerns, and promote alcohol-related accidents. Thompsen explains “Some young people must learn the hard way that there are consequences for their decisions. Some people can use alcohol responsibly, while others struggle with knowing ‘when to say when.'”

Kellyn McNamara  is a fourth-year student majoring in nutrition & dietetics and minoring in journalism. She can be reached at KM654122@wcupa.edu.