Mon. May 20th, 2024

Since the beginning of the semester, WCU has experienced computer difficulties, noticed mainly when students try to log-on to the network.Among the 14 state schools in Pennsylvania, West Chester University is the first to join a network that will allow all state universities to have a statewide log-on system. Students will have one log-on name and password. The system will also allow all universities to have access to any student’s account within the 14 state schools.

Students who have been logging on to computers in the F.H.G library or any of the computer labs on campus have probably noticed a delay in logging onto the WCU network. Logging on could have taken anywhere from five to 15 minutes, causing frustration and disconnection. The delay was a result of the computer verifying students’ accounts in Harrisburg at the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education, instead of at the E.O. Bull Center, where this was previously done, Paul Gargiulo, technical manager of the Academic Computing Center, located in Anderson Hall, explained.

“I just left the computer if it didn’t log-on. It was really frustrating and annoying if you had to wait 15 minutes to just get onto a computer,” said Charlie Moll, a senior at WCU.

Microsoft was called and is fully aware of the problem. In order to find a solution, Microsoft reproduced a computer lab identical to the WCU network and found the same problem. Microsoft and WCU faculty have worked to resolve the issues that were causing a slow computer logon process, said Gargiulo.

“West Chester University [students] are the guinea pigs. We were the first to join this state system,” said Frank Piscitello, security manager and NSIRT coordinator of the network operations staff.

“Shippensburg will most likely join after their fall break, as long as WCU’s issues are resolved.” All 14 state schools are required to join. Piscitello did not know if there was a time limit on when all universities had to connect to the network.

“Once the server is up and running, the original amount of storage for a student on their WCU account will increase from 10 megabytes to 50 megabytes,” Gargiulo said.

Firewalls are also installed on the network to protect all students from intruders, viruses and spam.

Many students showed their frustration when the computers were not logging on. Brandon Walcott, a senior at WCU, said, “I don’t even use the WCU computers anymore, I got too frustrated. I bring my laptop to school now.”

Microsoft and WCU facility have found a temporary solution that stops the slow log-on problem. Microsoft and WCU facility have turned off the group policy, which updates the computers security and virus scan for all student accounts. However, teachers still have a slow logon process due to having a group policy on their computer accounts.

“Students should definitely continue to log-on [to] computers by using their full WCU address for logging on [.] to web-mail and myWCU,” said Garguilo.

Piscitello and Garguilo, have not been given a set date by Microsoft on when the slow logon problem will be correctly fixed. However, they are hoping for full recovery of the computers by fall break.