The Women’s golf team is off to a great start this year, as they performed extremely well during the fall season. Playing in cold, rainy, and windy weather didn’t seem to phase the team, because they overcame these obstacles and made history in WCU Women’s Golf. The team played in several tournaments this fall season, improving each round.
Just a few months ago, Nicole Cavalcante and Gabby Couture shared their goals and thoughts on the fall season, and it is safe to say that they accomplished those goals. The team started out strong, as they took on four rounds of tournament golf in four days. The Lady Rams pushed through the sore feet and limbs, and still played some great golf. Senior captain, Nicole Cavalcante, started her senior season off with an 87, while junior Gabby Couture carded an 82. Freshmen Taylor Daskivich made her college debut shooting an 86, while Katie Clark and Ashley Teufel shot 91, and 92. Overall, the Lady Rams finished in the middle of the pack for their first tournament sitting in 8th place out of 16 teams.
The following day, the Women’s Golf team played in the Michael Corbett Fall Invitational in Clymer, N.Y. where they placed 9th out of 17 teams. The Golden Rams improved on the second day, when they shaved 11 shots off their day one score, and moved up a spot in the rankings. This second day in Clymer, NY made history as all five golfers shot below 90 for the first time. The team shot their third lowest score in school history that day, which is something to be very proud of.
After making history, the squad headed from Clymer, N.Y. to Clarion, Pa where they battled some intense weather conditions. They played their first round at Clarion Oaks Country Club in cold and rainy 50 degree weather, making the already challenging game even more difficult. However, the girls pulled through and focused, shooting some decent scores in the tough conditions. Junior Gabby Couture and Freshman Taylor Daskivich carded scores in the 80s, while Nicole Cavalcante, Ashley Teufel and Katie Clark shot in the 90s. Overall, the team pulled through on the second day, where they shaved off 12 strokes and came in 7th place out of 14 teams.
The Lady Rams kept improving after this tournament, as they headed over to Kutztown and shot some incredible scores. Gabby Couture tied for third overall shooting a total of 168. The team came in second overall, shooting a 673.
The Lady Rams continued to make history, as they made their best PSAC appearance in WCU history shooting a 335 on the second day at Hershey Links. During the first round of the PSAC championships in Hershey, PA, Junior Gabby Couture shot her career low score of 77 which had her in 3rd place overall on day one. The next day she carded an 82, which landed her in 5th place overall. Couture’s scores pushed the rest of the girls to play well on the second day. Daskivich dropped 8 strokes off her first day score of 90 as she signed for an 82. After sinking her last putt on the 36th Hole at Hershey Links, senior Nicole Cavalcante said goodbye to her final PSAC championship experience. She shaved four strokes off her day one score, and finished strong with a total of 168.
Overall the fall season showed promising future potential and the team is headed nowhere but up. Cavalcante is very happy with the way the Lady Rams have been playing because they have scored close to their Kutztown rivals every tournament. Cavalcante is also extremely proud of the three freshmen who overcame their first year nerves and carded some great scores. She also shared, “I’m proud of our team this year and honored to play alongside such dedicated, determined and positive girls.” The Golden Rams are sad the fall season came to a quick close, but they are ready to wok hard and enter the spring season strong.
Jenna Hopkins is a third-year student majoring in communication studies. She can be reached at JH758665@wcupa.edu.