Sat. Apr 20th, 2024

It is hard to believe that two semesters are almost over. I feel as if it was just yesterday when I moved into McCarthy Hall and started making friends. These past two semesters, even though they flew by, have definitely been a time to remember.As a first-year student I came to West Chester with certain expectations, but now that I have been here for a while, I have realized that I need to be the one to make those expectations come true for myself. For example, my first semester here I did not really get involved in very much. I had a few friends, but no one with whom I really connected. I went to a few different meetings for a few different clubs, but only found myself belonging to one or two of them. After losing some of my previous friends, I decided that Spring 2008 was in fact going to be different.

This spring I pledged to a sorority, Phi Mu. That was something I will never forget. The women of Phi Mu are some of the most amazing women I have ever met. I took part in the “Vagina Monologues,” which is again an experience that is irreplaceable. I had been involved in LGBTQA and I have attended their meetings; I had done, and continue to do, speak-outs for classes with them. I also recently ran for an LGBTQA executive board position and won the election.

After having a “not so great” first semester here, that is when I realized that I need to make my West Chester experience the best I could make it. This spring semester has been an eye-opener for me. I applied for an Orientation Leader job and received that position as well. I have come to realize that this is where I belong, and the friendships I have made this semester are going to last.

It is interesting, this feeling of happiness and sadness. Knowing that my first year is almost over, but in the big scheme of things, I am excited. I cannot wait for the summer, especially since I will be able to work with the incoming first-year students. Finally I am ecstatic for the Fall 2008 semester, where I will become closer to the friends I have made this semester. I will also be taking more classes that are major-emphasized. All in all, I will be even more at home here at West Chester.

Rebekah Balmer is a first year student majoring in secondary English education with a Spanish minor. She can be reached at RB649636@wcupa.edu.