Although away from home, the West Chester University football team was still able to capture an amazing victory over Kutztown University, defeating the Golden Bears 48-21 Saturday evening. Junior Brent Steinmetz and Brandon Simmons each had spectacular nights on offense, leading the Golden Rams to their victory. Steinmetz rushed for 142 yards for three scores, while Simmons posted 275 all-purpose yards.This victory improved the Golden Rams record to 4-2 on the season, and 2-0 in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Association Eastern Division.

The Golden Rams were behind 7-0 in the beginning of the opening quarter, before they unleashed their attack of 24 consecutive points. Kutztown then scored just before the half, but WCU began the third quarter with a 50-yard touchdown for a 31-14 lead.

The Golden Bears tried to come back, bringing the score to 31-24, but the Golden Rams were unstoppable, tallying a field goal, and two more touchdowns to post a final score of 48-21.

Steinmetz was on fire Saturday night, as he carried the ball 26 times for 142 yards and three touchdowns. This was the second time Steinmetz posted 100 yards in a game as a member of the Golden Rams football team. His 142 rushing yards is his second behind his 146 he tallied last season against Cheyney University.

Simmons was also on the ball Saturday night, recoding the 10th highest all-purpose yards in a single game in school history, tallying 275-yards against Kutztown.

Simmons caught four passes for 124-yards, including a 50-yard touchdown. He also returned seven punts for 141-yards, which included a 47-yard run down to the one-yard line. As if that was not enough, Simmons also managed to tally a 13-yard kickoff return. Freshman Michael Washington has had an amazing start to his collegiate football career, and Saturday night was no exception. Washington captured two passes for 43-yards, including a 22-yard touchdown early in the first quarter.

Sophomore Dean Millard also made an impact in the game, tallying a seven-yard run in the fourth for another touchdown for the Golden Rams.

As spectacular as the offense was Saturday night, the defense was not far behind. Senior Randy Reiner had an amazing performance, collecting a career-high of 13 tackles, which includedten solo tackles and three assists.

Three of his tackles were for losses of 18 yards. Two of his tackles for losses were sacks for losses of 16-yards. On one of his sacks, he forced a fumble that senior Dan Faubel carried for 49-yards into WCU territory.

Sophomore Lateef Ferguson also had a great night, posting nine tackles. Sophomore Jimmy Lewis tallied four solo tackles, three assists, and a five-yard sack, rounding out an amazing night for WCU defense.

The Golden Rams will be away for the second weekend in a row as they travel to Millersville next Saturday for a 1:15 kickoff, before returning home to host Mansfield University on October 15 for their homecoming game.

Homecoming kickoff is at 2 p.m.