Wed. May 15th, 2024

To many college students, the word “contraceptive” is associated with the condom or “the Pill”. Recently, a few new hormonal contraceptive options have become available. The newest hormonal contraceptives are “the Patch” (Ortho Evra) and “the Ring” (NuvaRing). The Patch is a small adhesive patch of time-released hormones that a woman wears on her shoulder, hip, or butt. The Patch is changed on the same day three times a month. On the fourth week she doesn’t wear the Patch and then the cycle continues. The Patch is a cost effective and low maintenance option for college students. The NuvaRing requires even less maintenance than the Patch. One small plastic ring inserted in the vagina releases hormones for three weeks. A woman removes the ring for the fourth week, then inserts a new ring the following week for her next cycle. The cost effective NuvaRing can be purchased at the Student Health Center for $10.

These new hormonal contraceptives are the first innovations since the Depo-provera shot, which provides three continuous months of contraception. Despite the new hormonal contraceptive options, many college-aged women and men only know of the traditional oral contraceptive, “the Pill.” Even though “the Pill” is widely known, it is often misunderstood.

Using this umbrella term, “the Pill,” misleads consumers into believing that all birth control pills are the same, when in actuality over thirty brands of birth control pills, each with different levels and ratios of estrogen and progestin exist. These different levels and ratios of hormones can cause a world of difference for anyone who’s ever had a “bad reaction to the Pill.”

Each woman’s body is different and requires different levels of these hormones. Most common side effects women complain of are moodiness, depression and weight gain, all of which may be solved by taking a birth control pill with a different type or amount of hormone. Talking to your healthcare provider about your birth control pill experiences can help you find a hormonal contraceptive with minimal side effects.

Consumers of oral contraceptive pills also commonly misconceive “the Pill’s” effectiveness rate for preventing pregnancy. With perfect use, less than 1 out every 100 women gets pregnant when using birth control pills. However, with typical use 5 out of every 100 women gets pregnant. Oral contraceptives are most effective when taken every day at about the same time. Just to be on the safe side, be sure to use a condom for the month if you missed a pill, or if you are taking antibiotics. Speaking of effectiveness, condoms’ high effectiveness rate drops dramatically with typical use, which is inconsistent use and not putting on a condom before every penetration. With typical use, 14 out of 100 women will get pregnant as opposed to the 3 in 100 who will get pregnant with perfect use of condoms.

Another type of contraceptive is the “Emergency Contraceptive Pill” (ECP), which is available at the Student Health Center. ECP, also called “Plan B,” can be taken up to 72 hours after unprotected sex to reduce the chance of unplanned pregnancy. This is an effective choice in the case of sexual assault, a condom tear or unprotected sex. Emergency Birth Control Pills are not “abortion pills;” they can only prevent ovulation, thicken cervical mucus and change the uterine lining.

If you want to learn more about contraceptives or sexual health and get some free condoms come to the Sexual Health Fair on Wed. Sept. 21, 2005 from 10-3pm at Sykes Union Ballroom.