Tue. May 14th, 2024

Where can an 18-24 year old experience both living with hundreds of strangers (one of which lives in your room) and high academic demands? Answer: college. Many first-year students feel overwhelmed their first semester of college. Some first-year students are living on their own for the first time and managing funds, friends studying, and health are complicated matters for which students have no prior experiences. For students who feel as if life is rushing at them too quickly, there is help and no need to panic. First, accept that change is both necessary and can be good. You will learn to adapt to college demands in time. Use your WCU Student Planner to write down assignment due dates and then prioritize projects. Work on projects that require the most time and are due the soonest, then leave smaller and easier projects for later. Take ten minute breaks every hour during study time to refresh your mind. You will find that your concentration improves when your mind is allowed time to process information. Second, learn to say “No.” Friends want to go to a party, but you have a test the next day? Say “No.” Phone keeps ringing and interrupting your study time? Turn the ringer off. You don’t have to accept every social engagement you’re asked to attend. Don’t feel guilty for putting your academic and personal needs first. College may be the place you develop a social life, but your primary purpose for being here is to get an education. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, then write it out. Take ten minutes to write down all of your concerns. Then try writing down one possible solution for each concern. Work on concerns you can control, like when you study, rather than focusing on uncontrollable concerns like how many tests your professor assigns. If your school anxiety symptoms include panic attacks, loss of concentration that interferes with academic performance, feelings of hopelessness, sleep disturbances, or changes in weight and energy levels, talk to psychologist about these symptoms at the Counseling Center.

Anxiety that persists after stressful events have passed may indicate a disorder which can be effectively treated with counseling and possible medication. Don’t be afraid to admit to feelings of anxiety or depression; these are not character flaws or signs of personal weakness. Depression and anxiety can be caused by a combination of genetic, psychological and environmental factors. Let a professional help you evaluate the causes and treatment. Not sure if your anxiety is more than just a temporary problem? ULifeline is a confidential online mental health screening tool that students can access on the Student Health and Wellness Web site. Results can help you determine if you should seek professional help and where to find that professional help if needed. There are always people to talk to when you’re feeling stressed out. Try your RA or RD, the Counseling Center, or the Student Health and Wellness Center for health and home related issues. Stressed about school work? WCU also offers free academic resources such as the Writing Center and LARC.

Because the Wellness Center realizes that students need a break from the every day stress of college life, they are offering “Get Happy Days” over the next several weeks. The first “Get Happy Day” featuring free massages and Jack O’ Lantern decorating is Wednesday, October 19 in Sykes Ballroom A from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. The second “Get Happy Day” featuring reflexology and crafts is Wednesday, November 2 in Sykes Ballroom B from 3 p.m.to 7 p.m. The third “Get Happy Day” featuring meditation and relaxation workshops is Wednesday, November 16 in University Hall lobby from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Free stress kits will be available at all events and at the Wellness Center. Take advantage of these resources to relieve your stress and get happy.