Tue. May 14th, 2024

Senior Michelle Kirk may not be able to trace her rugby roots back to West Chester University, but she has come a long way since arriving here, being crowned the 2007-08 womens rugby team captain. Michelle actually started her rugby career at Temple University. She was in the weight room one day as a freshman, and the captain of Temple’s team came by and asked her if she would be interested in trying out for rugby because they needed players. She went to a few practices and fell in love with the sport.

It wasn’t until the beginning of her junior year that she became a Golden Ram. She transferred here last year, really excited to play for West Chester, as they are so well known for their success in women’s rugby. Kirk was accepted right away by the players. The team has become over the last two years her best friends. The team as a whole is tight. They are with each other everyday for practice, games, and just to hang out on the weekends. They have all “become best friends, the ones that we can all trust and confide in,” according to Kirk.

And with the announcement that Michelle was the captain of the team came a new responsibility.

She said that “it is her duty to take the team as far as possible this year.” She noticed that the girls really look up to her now, and because of this, she feels it is her duty to step up her game and always plays her best, being a role model for the other players on the team.

Kirk does really enjoy being captain though.

“It’s nice to have people look up to me. Players are always asking me questions and coming to me for help and guidance. They really feel comfortable with me and know that they can talk to me.”

Since becoming captain, Kirk has led the Golden Rams to accomplishment after accomplishment, starting in the very first game of the season.

This game, against Eastern Illinois, was the very first NCAA women’s rugby game ever played, and West Chester came out on top, 20-19, to become the very first victors in an official NCAA sanctioned game.

She also led West Chester to a 5-2 record in the fall season, and their second consecutive EPRU championship, a game in which Kirk herself scored two tries. This victory also landed the team in the playoffs this spring, giving them a bid for the national championship.

The team has most everything they need to get there; talent, speed, fitness and experience. The key to success in the tournament will be that heart and passion to go all the way. The girls really need to believe in themselves that they can win. Kirk says that they can’t be scared going into any game.

Michelle and the girls always say “15 is one unit.” This is a rugby term used to symbolize that there are fifteen players on the field, but together they are one team, and they can’t get anywhere without each other.

One other factor in the success of the team is the Coach, Tony DeRemer. Michelle described him as “a positive light.” Not only is he there for the girls whenever they need him, he is also full knowledge about the sport. Kirk says how the girls always think they know everything there is to know, but still learn something new from coach at every practice.

Kirk is a senior majoring in physical education. She has one more year of eligibility, so she may be able to come back next fall as a fifth-year senior, as she will be student teaching for the fall semester.

I questioned Kirk on what she thought the future holds for her, referring to possible career paths or something like that. This is the answer that I got. “Right now, I am only thinking about this season. Our first game is March 1st, and the first playoff game is March 22 against JMU, and I can’t wait to tear them up. That’s as far as I’m looking into the future right now.”

Ryan Frisco is a first-year student majoring in communication studies. He can be reached at RF648257@wcupa.edu.