Mon. May 20th, 2024

Friends and family of the late Michael Maybroda have formed a memorial fund through the Chester County Community Foundation to preserve and celebrate his life and legacy.According to the flier that was distributed at Maybroda?s viewing, “The Michael G. Maybroda Memorial Fund has been created to commemorate Michael?s life, which was cut short. The Fund was initiated by Maybroda?s family and friends, who will decide on grants to charitable causes that honor his legacy, celebrate his accomplishments and exemplify his commitment to serving the community.”

Maybroda was widely knownon- and off-campus for being a kind and generous member of the community who always wanted nothing more than to give back to those who had given to him. This fund was established to ensure that, even though he is gone, his life remains cherished and his legacy of generosity continues. Abbe Society President and Maybroda?s close friend Sabrina Rightmyer said, “I think it?s a greatway to celebrate his life and everything that he?s done for other people.

His legacy of generosity and doing anything he can for others is still able to live on through the fund. Mike would be so happy that people are donating, but now it?s in his name and for him. Being in the Friars, he would raise money for other organizations like Habitat, but now people are donating for his fund. It came full circle.”

Various on-campus organizations, including both the Friar and Abbe societies, have held fundraisers to raise money for the fund. Tony Maalouf, Maybroda?s brother in the Friar Society said, “I would say that it?s a kind gesture of the Friar and AbbeSocieties. A memorial fund will ensure that he?s always remembered in our hearts. ?Play on Playa;? it?s exactly what we?re doing. To those who donate, I would tell them, and so would Maybroda, ?Yeah you!?” These organizations have been raising money to keep the Fund going. Many people have been spotted on campus sporting buttons with Maybroda?s picture, featuring his warm grin and trademark phrase, “Play On, Playa.” All of the proceeds from the button sales go towards the Fund. Buttons can be purchased at most Friar event tables for $3.

For those who wish to donate to the Michael G. Maybroda Memorial Fund, look for donation jars at on-campus events or visit www.chescocf.org for more information.