Wed. Apr 24th, 2024

The Grand Opening of West Chester University’s new Starbucks is scheduled for 8 a.m. on Monday, February 11. The Starbucks is located on north campus in the Francis Harvey Green Library.Students will be able to enjoy a variety of Starbucks products such as Frappuccino blended beverages, hot or cold espresso-based beverages, bottled waters, juices, double shots of espresso and organic teas. Baked goods and pastries will also be available for purchase.

Since the construction has been complete, staff training has been taking place, according to Richard Swain, the director of Library Services. West Chester University has a campus food service contract with Aramark which will control Starbucks.

“Aramark has a contract with Starbucks,” Swain said. “Aramark hires the employees and Starbucks comes in to train them.” Swain added that solely Aramark employees will run Starbucks.

According to Dan Burns, Aramark resident district manager, the Starbucks will hold similar hours to the Java City, the library’s previous coffee shop. Since the completed construction the library’s Java City has closed, however the location in the Sykes Student Union will remain open.

Operating as a regular Starbucks, they will accept cash, credit, Ram Bucks or flex. However, meal-to-cash credit is not accepted.

The coffee shop will also have wi-fi access and can serve for a study area even after the Starbucks closes for the night.

Several students are anxious for the opening. “I’m so excited for the new Starbucks to open,” third-year student Amanda Rolfe said, “I’ve been waiting for it all year.”

Third year student, Traci Levin, is also positive about the opening. “I think it’s great they put a Starbucks on campus. I’m excited and I think it will be popular since Starbucks is already well-known.”

The newest addition to campus will provide students an extra area to study and relax for faculty and WCU students.

Stephanie Lytle is a third-year student majoring in English with a minor in journalism. She can be reached at SL607914@wcupa.edu.