Sat. Apr 20th, 2024

On Senior Day at Graham Natatorium, West Chester’s men’s swimming team fought off a determined Bloomsburg Huskies team 106-85 to beat their PSAC rivals. Winning seven of 11 events, West Chester was able to use their depth to win the meet.West Chester (6-3) received a double victory from junior Dan Casey who won the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 22.22 seconds and the 100 free with a time of 48.55 seconds.

In the 1000 free, Rod King finished in 10 minutes, 5.69 seconds to claim the victory. Chris Salomone touched the wall first in the 200 individual medley as two consecutive West Chester swimmers followed. Lead by David Smoker, the Rams had three swimmers touch the finish line in the 200 free.

Despite winning half of the events, West Chester finished in the top three spots in four races and the top two spots in two other races.

West Chester’s women’s swim team also handled Bloomsburg University 133-72 at Graham Natatorium on Senior Day. The Rams swam away winning eight of eleven events.

West Chester (6-2) was led by sophomore Jackie Borkowski who won both of her events. In the 500-yard freestyle, Borkowski finished in 5:10.52 and in the 1000 free she finished with a time of 10:34.69.

Finishing behind Borkowski in the 1000 free were Megan Bauer (10:43.42) and Kristen Montello (10:55.34).

Both the men and women’s teams will be resting to prepare for the PSAC Men’s and Women’s Swimming Championships. The championships will be held February 21-24 at Cumberland High School in Mechanicsburg, Pa.

The men will be in search of their tenth consecutive conference championship, while the women are in search of their second straight.

The West Chester gymnastics team finished third out of four teams on Saturday at Hutchinson Gym on the campus of University of Pennsylvania.

The Golden Rams finished behind Ursinus and host Penn, while finishing ahead of Wilson College.

Jenna Ciatto and Stephanie Clark each recorded season high scores in the all-around category. Ciatto scored a 35.425, while Clark received a score of 35.075 to lead West Chester. Ciatto also tied her season best in the vault.

Colleen Sheehan received personal bests in the all-around with a score of 34.825 and in the floor exercise with a score of 9.125.

Also doing well in the vault were Rachel Chilla and Melissa Filer who each scored a 9.025 to improve their season best scores.

West Chester’s gymnastics team will be returning home on Friday when Texas Women’s University travels to West Chester at 6 PM.

LJ Harrell is a second-year student majoring in business. He can be reached at LH639694@wcupa.edu.