Sun. Apr 28th, 2024

In the decades before the Civil Rights movement, West Chester University was among many schools and institutions that committed racial discriminations against black members of the student body.On Wednesday, Feb. 20, President Madeleine Wing Adler formally apologized to alumni in attendance as part of the annual Civility Day event on campus. The alumni were also invited to speak about their experiences at WCU and the incidents of discrimination they faced during their time here.

“The current administration, students, faculty and staff of WCU acknowledge with profound regret discriminatory practices, such as restrictions on campus housing and the use of other facilities and services, that brought unequal and ill treatment to the institution of Black students throughout many decades of the twentieth century,” Adler said.

The event skewed away from the general theme of this year’s Civility Day theme of ‘Go Green’, focusing on discrimination, but fit into the previous year’s themes to focus on challenging the University community to think about civility.

The alumni that participated in the event were members of athletic teams, music majors and students of the teacher’s college. They attested to African-American students not being allowed to live on campus, receiving low grades, being discouraged in their studies and being forced to sleep on the bus on away games for the sports teams.

Later blacks could attain residence hall living, but were segregated from caucasians.

WCU administration gave a proclamation to each of the alumni offering regret, apology and a policy to resist discrimination on campus. “[The University’s policy of not] practicing, condoning or tolerating acts or expressions of prejudice, inequality or incivility.”

The following article was a collaboration of The Quad News Section and can be reached at Quadnews@wcupa.edu.