Wed. May 8th, 2024

Television and radio have expanded their vocabulary to include a famous four-letter word. The word isn’t flip, but the mother of all the curse words in the English language.The Federal Communications Commission issued a ruling saying the word can be used as an adjective as long as it doesn’t describe any sexual activities.

“It’s all about what you can get away with,” said Rob Boshard, program director of Clear Channel Radio.

Stations like KROQ that sponsor shows like Howard Stern and X96 with Radio From Hell are always pushing the limit, he said.

“It’s not just the cursing, it’s the whole program,” said Jennifer Robison, a sophomore from Colorado.

The shows do all sorts of outrageous things to keep people interested, she said.

“Shock radio has been around for almost 25 years, and its purpose is to try and bring attention to itself and bring in money,” said Jim Fisher, assistant professor and lecturer at the University of Utah Department of Communication.

Fisher said that although the new ruling could make some radio trashier, it would allow freedom of speech the FCC hinders.

Local radio doesn’t allow the f-word, Boshard said, but even with the other vulgarities and out-of-con-trol morning shows, radio stations aren’t breaking any laws.

Some Brigham Young University students said they don’t like the new wave in radio.

“I only really listen to the country stations because it is a lot cleaner,” said Codee Cope, a senior from Colorado. She said with country, she doesn’t have to worry about all the curse words that flood the airwaves.

Some students said they think radio has turned its focus to a more youthful generation.

“The radio stations are focusing on the hip-hop generation,” said Autrey Duke, a sophomore from Texas. Duke has stopped listening to radio and turned to listening to CDs.

When it comes to radio and cursing “they try to bleep it out, but we all know what they said, and you can hear that word in your head,” Duke said.

So why then is there so much vulgarity on radio?

“Radio in Salt Lake is so competitive, and every program director is trying to carve out their own niche,” Boshard said.

Even though there hasn’t been a change in radio in the last 20 years, the attitude and spin have changed, Boshard said.

It is not just the FCC or program directors that decide what goes on air and what doesn’t, Boshard said.

“There has been a big change in values, even Latter-day Saints in a way have accepted things,” Boshard said. “Radio belongs to the commu-nity, and as long as they are willing to accept what the radio stations do, it’s ok.