P.W. Iron Club, a new local gym that is owned by two recent WCU alumni, provides a comfortable and unique workout environment that is designed to accommodate college students.P.W. Iron Club, which is conveniently located directly behind the 7-11 on High Street, opened its doors for the first time seven months ago. To its two owners, WCU Kinesiology graduates Brian Petters (’03) and Beau Westhoff (’00), the gym has already exceeded their expectations.

Petters and Westhoff had to sometimes work 80 hours a week just to get the gym started. Tons of phone calls had to be made, not to mention the physical labor and mental perseverance.

This, on top of schoolwork and other job commitments, provided Petters and Westhoff with an over-the-top schedule. The two took a big risk and stuck with it, even when few had faith in them. In only one year, they renovated the entire building, took care of all the necessary marketing, and did everything else that is essential to begin a business.

Petters and Westhoff wanted to create a gym, as opposed to a health club, where people who are serious about working out would be able to go. The two owners wanted a gym that had a comfortable atmosphere where members could make friends, have a good workout, and have fun. They did not want to create an overly crowded, unfriendly atmosphere, like in so many other gyms and fitness facilities. They did not like the environment and equipment of other facilities in the area and wanted to begin something different.

Petters said that their gym really caters to college students simply because of its close location and special student pricing. The owners and employees are also young, which puts them on a more personal level with the students. Due to all of this, most of the gym’s members are college students, both male and female. A few older adults are members, but all are welcome to join.

P.W. Iron Club offers its members brand new Life Fitness and Hammerstrength equipment. Tanning beds, a full service locker room that includes showers, personal trainers, nutritional supplements, and various athletic clothing are available for its members as well.

The gym’s hours of operation are Monday through Thursday: 5:30 a.m. to 11 p.m., Friday: 5:30 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Sunday: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.