Tue. Apr 23rd, 2024

Who has the best band in West Chester? This is a question that will be answered come March 31 when the winner of WCURʼs Battle of the Bands will perform live at Sykes Student Union. The contest consisted of 40 bands from the West Chester area who turned in recordings of some of their music in to WCUʼs radio station WCUR 91.7. From there the 40 bands then became only 16 through a voting selection after hearing all of the contestants. The bands have a lot of talent and are looking forward to getting their names out into the music industry. In order for a band to go on to the next round they must receive more votes than the opposing bands.After the first cut of bands, the remaining 16 have faced off against each other in groups of fours. Of each group of four only two bands went on to the next round. Last week the final eight teams were decided as students and faculty alike voted for their favorite band. Early last week the methods of voting was changed.

Now the only way to vote for your favorite bands is to log onto www.wcur.fm. The final eight that have passed on to the next round are Over Rise, Ley Royal Scam, Pawn Shop Roses, Jonathan Heathcote, Hype Unit, Arms of Orion, Portable Folk Band and Back of the Bus.

From these eight bands, they will each be paired up to go headto- head and continue to advance. The final four will be announced on Friday.

For local music bands, this contest is the equivalent of the NCAA Menʼs Basketball Tournament.

Out of the eight, the band that has been standing out the most is the group Back of the Bus. Many students across campus have been logging in online and calling in requesting this band to hear some of their songs. The band touches on all styles of music and has a unique style that separates them from the competition. Throughout the week tune in to the WCUR and request your favorite band. Then on March 31 be sure to check out these bands perform live in Sykes Student Union.