Sat. Apr 27th, 2024

The West Chester women?s swim team won its fourth title in the last five years at the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference competition last Saturday. The women?s swimmer of the meet was Tammy Leane, a junior here at West Chester who is from Australia.She broke three conference records, three school records, and one national record in the 400 yard individual medley. The men?s swim team also won its seventh straight title at the state competition.

The men?s swimmer of the meet was Marek Malopolski, a freshman from Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

The event took place here at West Chester University starting on Wednesday and finishing up on Saturday night.

The women?s swim team?s final score was 1,073 points, which was 190 points ahead of second place held by Clarion University. The men?s swim team?s final score was 712 points, which was far ahead of second place held by Clarion University who scored 446 points.

West Chester winners in events by day are listed as follows: Wednesday?s only events were the 1,000 yard freestyle for both men and women?s teams. The men?s team winner was Leve Nagy-Pal, a senior and the women ?s team winner was Alex Parrilla, a freshman.

Thursday?s events included the men?s and women?s 200 yard freestyle relay, both of which were won by West Chester. Alex Parrilla won her second event in the 500 yard freestyle and Chris Salomone, a freshman, won the men?s 500 yard freestyle. In the 200 yard individual medley for the women, the winner was Tammy Leane. The team also won both the men?s and women?s 400 yard medley relay.

Friday?s events started off with the men?s and women?s teams both winning the 200 yard medley relay. Next, Tammy Leane set the national record in the women?s 400 yard individual medley and Leve Nagy-Pal won his second event in the men?s 400 yard individual medley.

For the men?s 100 yard butterfly, George Zimmermann, a junior, won the event. Parrilla won her third event in the women?s 200 yard freestyle. Then Ashley Haney, a senior, won the 100 yard breaststroke for the women, and Alec Best, another senior, won the men?s 100 yard backstroke. The day finished up with both the men?s and women?s teams winning the 800 yard freestyle relays.

The first event West Chester won on Saturday was the men?s 1,650 yard freestyle, which was won by Cody Clauser, a sophomore.

Leane won her final event in the 200 yard backstroke and Patrick Collins, a junior, won the same event for the men. This was followed by Reggie Shearer, a junior, winning the 100 yard freestyle and Nagy-Pal winning his third event in the men?s 200 yard butterfly. The Rams locked up the conference by winning both the men?s and women?s 400 yard freestyle relays.

The female swimmers who qualified for nationals include Eszter Balazs, Ashley Haney, Kate Jones, Julie Keefer, Kori Kilfeather, Katie Kollar, Tammy Leane, Alex Parrilla, Leanne Rowland, Aylssa Smidlein, and Melissa Young. The male swimmers who qualified for nationals are Rob Barnum, Alec Best, Jason Brennan,

Cody Clauser, Patrick Collins, Gabe Melo, Leve Nagy-Pal, Tim Robinson, Chris Salomone, Reggie Shearer, Jordy Troyan, Matt Weiser, and George Zimmermann. This is the highest amount in school history. Nationals will be taking place in Orlando, Fla. during spring break week.