Sat. Apr 20th, 2024

As a result of some technical difficulties and the lack of writing for the University’s only completely open forum (this Op-ed section), we’ve decided to republish a portion of the editorial we first published on Jan. 22 of this year.Rarely do we issue such a request for submissions, however with this week’s incredible lack of submissions-just two letters to the editor (only one from a student)-we feel it is necessary to issue the following reminder: this is your section!

The Op-ed section of The Quad is the voice of the students. It is an open forum for you to share what you believe is important and what you believe deserves to be heard. We publish every submission we receive and we don’t censor your work. We feel that more students should take advantage of this space. Not only is it exciting to see your name in print, but it is exciting to know that your peers will read what you’ve written-not to mention the administrators that run the University and make the decisions that impact your life every day. Don’t doubt the power you have-you can make a difference.

With that said, please take a look at our Jan. 22 editorial:

“Another change we’ve implemented is the revitalization of our now defunct Forum section. This editorial is being printed in our new Op-ed section. Op-ed is an acronym for “opposite the editorial.” The editorial is written by the head of the newspaper and the opinions – presented opposite of the editorial – are written by the readers of the newspaper. As a student-run newspaper, our primary function and duty is to be the voice of the students. Thus, our editorial – which will always be located in this gray box – will strive to give voice to the students attending our university. We hope our thoughts reflect yours as thoroughly as possible, but we won’t know how we’re doing unless you tell us. So please, let us know if you’re frustrated with something. Words are powerful and our goal is to make the student’s words as strong as possible.

To that end, we want to make it easy for you to voice your thoughts and opinions. If writing is not your forte, call us – on your way to class, as you eat your lunch, before a party – and leave a message. We’ll transcribe it and publish it in this section. Our number is 610-436-2375. Or, if you prefer writing, IM us at the AIM screen name QuadOpEd, where we’re always online and waiting for your submissions. We’ll print as many as will fit into the section. To assure your comments get published, read our submissions policy printed to the left. We cannot accept anonymous submissions because, as Larry King said, “Anonymous sources are to journalism what silicon enhancements are to the feminine figure; they look impressive to the gullible, but something doesn’t feel right.”

We exist to publish a newspaper for, with and about the students. We try to do that every week. It can only get better with more student interest, more student input, and more student involvement. Our door is open. Come see us. We’re located in 253 Sykes, around the corner from WCUR. We want your help and ideas because we want a better student newspaper. 5,000 people will read this editorial on paper and another thousand may read it online – make your voice heard and change the world around you.”

We hope this spurs some interest in our readers. 13,000 students attend this school and at least 6,000 people look at our publication each week. We’d like to think that more than two of them have something to say. We want to hear what you think. About our paper, about the world, about the University, about West Chester. Please contact us for more information about writing for this or any other section of The Quad:

Op-ed E-mail: QuadOpEd@wcupa.edu

Op-ed AIM: QuadOpEd

Op-ed Phone: 610-436-2375, Press 1

General Information: Quad@wcupa.edu

General Phone: 610-436-2375, Press 3

Website: www.wcuquad.com