Sat. Jul 27th, 2024

West Chester University held its biannual Career Fair on Wednesday, Oct. 19 in the Sykes Student Union. The fair was hosted by the Twardowski Career Development Center, located in room 225 of the Lawrence Center. The Career Fair was densely populated by local businesses and organizations, with over 75 employers in attendance, including several big-name employers such as Century 21, Chick-Fil-A, Sherwin-Williams, and Turkey Hill, among others. These employers were offering full-time and part-time jobs, as well as internships.

“We have a variety of careers available today, including jobs in business, government jobs, and even non-profits,” Preeti Singh, the director of the Career Fair and the Associate Director of the Twardowski Career Development Center said.

One of the career fair employers was the insurance company Aflac. Aflac, which offers supplemental health and life insurance, was looking to hire eight to ten full-time employees. Much like several other businesses at the fair, Aflac was looking for entrepreneurial students who were interested in a career in insurance.

Another organization represented at the career fair was Horse Power for Life, which is a non-profit located in Chester County. Horse Power for Life was co-founded in 2007 by Shiree Radie and Barbara Rosoff, both of whom lost loved ones to cancer. This organization offers a 16 week therapeutic horse-riding program for cancer patients—not just children, but men and women, as well. Any variety of cancer patients are welcome, as long as they were diagnosed within the last five years. Horse Power for Life was looking for four marketing-major interns to help plan the April fundraiser and recruit new people. “Since we’re a non-profit,” co-founder and president Shiree Radie said, “We’ll take all the help we can get.”

The Career Fair was clearly a success, with so many businesses in attendance and students milling all about. Singh said that the Career Development Center will be having another Career Fair during spring semester. A list of the employers that will be in attendance will be posted online one week before the fair. However, students that are exploring careers, choosing a major or looking into a new one should consider visiting Career Development Center, because the staff will be more than happy to help. “Our office isn’t just for seniors,” Singh said. “In fact, students should visit us much earlier; the earlier you connect, the more prepared you’ll be.”

Clare Hoggerty is a first- year student majoring in English. She can be reached at CH757342@wcupa.edu.