Sat. Apr 20th, 2024

After a year the SGA’s executive board is coming close to the end of the line. Some of the accomplishments of SGA this past year included increase attendance at football games by 300 percent, the WCU Showdown- Car show to raise money for Camp Dreamcatcher, advocating the late night programming that became the new Sykes After Dark, and the creation of The Library Pilot Program which keeps the Library open until 2 a.m. Sunday through Wednesday night (previously midnight).

“The group is my foundation,” says Anthony DiJiacomo, a senior majoring in accounting/finance/management. “They opened my eyes to who I am. They help me have fun.”

The first meeting was not entirely a “let’s get to know each other” seminar. Everyone knew each other when they put together their ticket, though their comraderie was not yet firmly cemented.

The executive group functions just as well as any other group; they had their rough spots that sometimes seemed unbearable. But being able to bounce ideas off each other and clashing with varying ideas and different views, it was good that they didn’t always get along.

“The great thing about working with these students in the exec board is that they are the most leadership-oriented students,” says Brad Moyer, a junior majoring in political science. “Everyone gets the job done. No one has to wonder if the job will maybe get done.” In the future the executive board would love to play a similar role in their career because it was such a cohesive group.

Being in the SGA gave these six students an opportunity not only to network but work with diverse student leaders and administrators. And on very grand scales they all feel very happy with what they accomplished. The reason why this group feels this way is because there’s a cooperative aspect to their group. They look forward to seeing each other. “What I will miss most is how this group listens to each other,” says Rich Miller Jr., a junior majoring in music education. “No idea brought up got rejected because it was too big or too far out there. Every group has its flaws-this group is the best team I ever worked with over an extended period of time.”

They’ve built a solid routine which they will soon have to depart from. They plan on staying friends but they know that it won’t be the same.

“This group taught me about me,” says Meghan Dun, a junior student majoring in special educaton. “It taught me about what I believe in and what I should expect in other people.” Although Meghan is a junior she is not returning to SGA next semester. “I’m just moving on to different things. I want to get the full college experience! I’m a big believer in that so I’m all about new goals and achievements.”

The SGA board believes one of their most rewarding moments as a team is coming up. As part of spirit week, SGA along with sponsors RHA, SAC, OCCA and Sykes After Dark, are forming a carnival to build excitement about being a West Chester student. A week full of activities includes Volleyball (Monday), Greek Night Live (Tuesday), Banana Day (Wednesday), Kid Cudi (Thursday), and Sykes After Dark Drag Show (Friday). It all culminates with the big finale on Saturday. the Carnival taking place in the Lawrence Parking Lot, Church Street, and University Ave.

At the carnival there will be many inflatables, a petting zoo, juggler entertainment, live music, carnival food, vendors, dunk tank, face painting, a mechanical bull, outdoor volleyball, an outside obstacle course, plus much more.

The executive staff developed their friendship with each other due to their constant professional time together. “I was an only child so the sisters of the Abbes society and the student government became family,” says Lauren Prudenti, a current senior majoring in psychology. “They know when I’m having a test, when I’m having problems, they just get me. It’s kind of sad because although it’s kind of the real world, I feel like people are not going to be that nice outside of West Chester.”

They are more than just coworkers in an administration now, they have invested heavy interest in each other. When someone has an interview for an internship, they want to know how they did. They support each other. Being part of the executive staff has improved these students’ communication, teamwork, leadership qualities, and trust. Like any strong group, they know every member in the exec board had moments when the weight of an issue felt overbearing. Sometimes it would seem impossible, but with the strong support of each other they were able hang in and get the job done.

Prudenti recalls the beginning, when the exec board was not yet. “We worked our butt off to campaign. Every night we would be at Anthony’s house until 3 a.m. It was a long process. We worked together over the summer as well. We chalked sidewalks, painted windows, paid for things out of our pocket, made Facebook groups, and spent hours at various open forums. We were so happy through the week of elections. It wasn’t about if we won or not but we were relieved, because we knew we gave it our best shot, so if we didn’t win, we knew we won in our heads.

“I will miss all of them,” says Matthew South, a senior majoring in music education. “It’s such a joy not knowing who’s going to come through those doors. You know everyone’s office hours, but sometimes Anthony or Meghan might stop by. I will also miss my advisor Mell Josephs, the Executive Director of SSI. We had a scheduled meeting once a week, but I would see her everyday where she would give me advice on everything.”

“Our motto during the election process was ‘Changes Beyond Your Wildest Dreams,” said DiJiacomo. “I truly believe we have done that and even started conversations down the road for further changes. It was a ton of fun also, and I learned amazing things through the process.”

Dan Colon is a student at West Chester University. He can be reached at DC741117@wcupa.edu.