St. Michael?s Professor David Mindich will be speaking about student involvement in the news at Philips Library on Feb. 24, from 7:30-9:00 p.m. Twenty-five students will be selected to attend the event. The students will be chosen based on the quality of the commentary they submit.Interested students should pick up an entry form, available at Sykes front desk, SSI ticket window, room 236 B in Sykes Union or through participating professors.

Selected students will be interviewed on Feb. 24 from 3:15-4:45 p.m. in Philips Library. The deadline to submit entry forms is Feb. 21 at 5 p.m. The forms must be turned in to room 236 B Sykes Union. Mindich will select the 25 winning participants based on their 50-word commentary.

Mindich is chairman of the journalism and mass communications department at St. Michael?s College in Vermont.

“I didn?t think I?d be a professor,” says Mindich, from Saint Vincent?s Web site. He worked at a radio station as a DJ and at CNN before continuing his education at NYU, where he received his masters in American Civilization and doctorate in American Studies.

He received the Krieghbaum Under-40 Award for OutstandingAchievement in Research in 2002. His research focuses on why students do not stay active in the media. It seeks to find the reasons behind the lack of interest and the effects it has on society. The Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication presented the award to Mindich.