For the third time in three years, the West Chester University men’s wrestling club has won the National Collegiate Wrestling Association’s (NCWA) Mid-East Conference title. The tournament solidified the program as the premier club team in the region, and one of the best in the nation.

This year’s installment, which took place at Valley Forge Military Academy on Feb. 25, saw nine West Chester wrestlers qualify for the national tournament in Daytona Beach, Florida, four of whom won their respective weight class. It is the second year in a row with at least nine wrestlers on their way to nationals.

First place finishes came from John Dickinson (125), Joey Bonaduce (133), Luke Bilyeu (141), and Dustin Tancredi (165).

Tancredi pinned his way through the field for the third consecutive year, and his efforts were rewarded with his third title in as many years, paving the way for another run at a national title.

“It’s been great to win my third conference championship,” Tancredi said. “However, the goal is to win another national championship. I’ve been mentally preparing to defend my national championship for a year. So nothing changes just keep working hard, embracing the grind, and praying that I dominate when the time comes.”

Tancredi was also impressed with the effort of his teammates, one that netted the club an impressive 124 points en route to the team title, 45 points above second place Penn State- DuBois.

“They all wrestled great Saturday,” he said. “Mean, physical, dominating, and secure. Everyone was fighting for points and pinning people when they got the opportunity.”

The team’s point leader this season, Luke Bilyeu, also left with another conference title, winning his second in a row. Bilyeu, a sophomore, finished third in last year’s national championships and, with another year under his belt, is poised to go two steps higher on the podium.

“It feels good to get another conference title,” Bilyeu said. “But I plan on continuing my success at nationals. Nationals is a whole different story, I just need to wrestle my matches and stay focused. Anything can happen down there, so I just need to be prepared for anything.”

Both Bilyeu and Tancredi have earned number one seeding at the upcoming national tournament, an achievement that head coach Joe Miller referred to as “an honor.”

Senior John Dickinson (125) also returns to the national tournament and will be looking to redeem his tough finish last year after earning All-American honors in 2010.

“Going into conferences I was determined to win it my senior year,” Dickinson said. “We have been working hard all year and now with nationals coming up I feel at my peak. After placing sixth my sophomore year and not placing last year at nationals, I am even more determined and motivated.”

Joey Bonaduce rounded out the contingent of champions with a first place finish at 133. Juniors Myles Tometta (184) and Tom Dwyer (235) both finished second in their weight classes, while fellow junior Jason Mandragona (133) and sophomore Ryan Kreppel (235) both finished third to qualify for nationals.

Coach Miller also received an honor, being named Coach of the Year for the second time.

The individual achievements of the group bode well for their chances to move above the sixth place finish they have earned the past two years, and even compete for a national title. An achievement which, if earned, would complete coach Miller’s plan to win a national title in five years (this being the program’s fourth year).

“The coaches are proud of the strong finish the guys are doing right now,” coach Miller said.

An even stronger finish will be needed next week at nationals thanks to the new format of the NCWA, which has split their club programs into a Division I and Division II, with West Chester competing in the top tier. The Golden Rams’ tough schedule, however, should prepare the team for the challenges of the tournament.

“We wrestled [Division] I, II and III teams all year so [we’re] prepared for any competition,” Dickinson said.

When they arrive in  Florida,  they will find out if any of their competition will be prepared for them.

Brian Johnson is a fourth-year student majoring in English. He can be reached at BJ669485@wcupa.edu.