Tue. Apr 23rd, 2024

The 12th Annual AIDS Benefit will grace the Madeleine Wing Adler stage at West Chester University on Feb. 4, 2012.

This annual favorite night of entertainment showcases students performing exciting songs, moving monologues, and thrilling dances dedicated to the HIV/AIDS cause. 

This year’s show features popular group numbers such as “Don’t Stop Believing” as seen on Glee,  “You Can’t Stop the Beat” from Hairspray, “The B*tch of Living” from Spring Awakening, and “21 Guns” from the musical American Idiot, with music and lyrics by Green Day.

The AIDS Benefit is entirely student run with help from West Chester’s student organization, University Theatre, and support from LGBTQA and Aid to South Africa, making the cause more prominent on campus. All proceeds go to Broadway Cares Equity Fights AIDS, an organization dedicated to promoting public awareness and understanding of the AIDS epidemic.

The idea behind the bold new theme, “Worth Fighting For” is “about empowering our generation to start contributing to putting an end to this disease as well as other major issues around the world. It is time for the youth to stand up and start making a difference,” Shannon Kearns, producer of the benefit, said. Director Justin Caiazzo agrees, adding, “we are giving a voice to the young as well as those affected by HIV/AIDS. We are showing that we care. We know that this is something ‘Worth Fighting For’ and we will be there to fight it.”

The AIDS Benefit will take place on Feb. 4 at 8 p.m. with a silent auction beginning at 7 p.m. Auction items will include signed Broadway posters and programs as well as other Broadway merchandise with more exciting items to come. The performance will take place in the Madeleine Wing Adler Theatre in the Swope Performing Arts Center with a free parking lot on campus. There is a minimum $5 donation to be paid at the door for the performance. Come see this amazing performance for a fantastic cause. For more information contact wcuaidsbenefit2012@gmail.com.