This past Tuesday in Sykes theater, West Chester University held a presentation discussing the Pennsylvania Voter ID Legislation. The Black Student Union, in collaboration with the Political Science Club, shared a slideshow informing students about the effects of the new Voter ID Law. Bret Binder, a Chester County Democratic candidate for the Pennsylvania House, also spoke to the student body stressing the importance of knowing one’s rights and the importance of voting.

The Voter ID Law, HB 934, was passed on March 4, 2012. The law requires voters to have a valid, state-issued photo ID. The law also requires that the ID is not expired and is labeled with an issue and expiration date. The name on the ID should match the name on the poll books.

This law affects senior citizens, who may have given up their licenses or have no need for a state ID; minorities; and impoverished individuals who may not be able to afford an ID.

The slideshow covered how to ensure the ability to vote. First, register to vote by Oct. 6. Second, make sure you have a valid photo ID before going to the polls, and that your documents match (ID and poll book). Finally, know your polling place.

If a voter does not have an ID, or if there is a question of eligibility, then the voter would cast a Provisional Ballot. The voter would complete and sign the Provisional Ballot affidavit on the back of a ballot envelope. The voter must then return to their legislative office within six days to prove their identity.

Binder argued that Provisional Ballots slow down the voting line and discourage people from voting. He also stated that a provisional ballot is only effective if the voter goes back, and oftentimes the voter does not, and consequently the vote does not count.

Binder, BSU, and the Political Science Club all agreed that the law was created to stop certain people from voting. There were zero counts of voter fraud in Pennsylvania last year. The Political Science Club stated that it was a corruption of government, and that the government was “solving a problem that doesn’t exist.”

Binder said the law is an attempt to make college students, poor families, and senior citizens less likely to vote. These groups are usually Democratic. He also quoted a Pennsylvania Republican legislator who did not pretend that the law was created against fraud, but “to ensure Romney wins.”

Because of this law, approximately 1.5 million people could be disenfranchised. About 758,000 registered Pennsylvania voters lack a state-issued ID card, and 186,830 of those people live in Philadelphia. That’s about 18 percent of Philadelphia’s population.

Binder, BSU, and the Political Science Club stressed that the law was passed and proposed by Republicans. They argued that Republicans are attempting to get rid of voters who would vote against them. Binder stated that “they are preventing people from voting. It is not constitutional.”

Currently, 33 states have either proposed or passed a Voter ID Law.

Binder pointed out that $11 million was spent on creating this law when there were zero cases of fraud. At the same time, funding for higher education in Pennsylvania was cut, as students may have realized when receiving their tuition bill this year.
Binder urged that the student body should not become discouraged by this law, or the corruption that surrounds it, stating, “Regardless of why this legislation was cast … get that proof of ID, register to vote, and get out there and vote!” He argued that students should not become apathetic over this, but become motivated to vote and make a difference.

Binder suggested that students should visit the website Corbetslist.com, where they can enter their name and see if they are likely to have issues with their voter ID.

There will also be volunteers around campus handing out stickers that students can put on their IDs that include an issue and expiration date.

For students who are not registered to vote, they will have the opportunity to do so on campus on Sept. 19. There will be Voter Registration tables and booths all over campus.

Colleen Cummings is a second-year student with a major in English and a double minor in journalism and graphic design. She can be reached at CC763510@wcupa.edu.