Valentines Day can usually be thought of as a day when people celebrate the affection they have for their significant other. However those who identify with the single status this year should not be left out. There are plenty of activities one can do to enjoy the day instead of focusing on their relationship status.An article on the funtimesguide.com suggests going to a movie alone this Valentine’s Day. West Chester Student Activities Council (SAC) hosts movies every Thursday through Sunday in Sykes Theater. Valentine’s Day weekend SAC will be showing the second installment in the “Twilight Saga New Moon.”

According to Collegelife.about.com if a person is not the type who enjoys going to movies alone they can invite their other single friends over for a movie marathon.

Thefuntimesguide.com also suggests pursuing ones passion this Valentine’s Day. At WCU, getting involved in one or more of the countless organizations is a great way one may do this. Check out the school website and the many locations filled with fliers for more information on what activities WCU has to offer.

Collegelife.about.com also suggests cooking yourself and your friends a nice dinner. All of the residence halls are equipped with full kitchens so groups of friends can cook together. Collegelife.about.com also suggests singles should focus on bettering themselves in all aspects. They suggest getting more organized by planning ahead for future assignments and exams, updating your calendar, doing laundry and completing assignments one may have been avoiding. One could also better themselves physically by taking a walk around campus or working out at one of the two fitness centers at WCU.

One can also go out to dinner with friends. The borough of West Chester has a variety of restaurants from Italian to Japanese so it is very likely that it will be easy to find a place to satisfy everyone’s taste buds. If a person is short on cash they can certainly enjoy a meal with friends at one of the many places to eat on campus.

For sports fans, many WCU teams will be hosting, home games during Valentine’s Day weekend. On Saturday February 13th the Women’s Basketball team will be playing Bloomsburg at 1:00 p.m. in Hollinger Gym. The Men’s Basketball team will also be playing Bloomsburg shortly after the women at 3 p.m.

These games are being held as part of the WCU Pink Zone basketball games to raise awareness about breast cancer. Fans showing up to the game wearing pink they will get a free gift while supplies last. There will also be raffles with prizes that include a pink iPod shuffle and $50 gift cards to Barnaby’s.

In addition there will be educational displays to raise awareness about the disease. All donations made that day will benefit the Kay Yow Foundation.

Samantha Greenberg is a third-year student majoring in English. She can be reached at SG655862@wcupa.edu.