During a regular school day at West Chester University, students may come across a number of organizations selling pretzels or having a bake sale in order to raise money for philanthropy. One philanthropy is cancer research, known as Camp Dreamcatcher. The latter is specific to the Greek community on the campus of West Chester. Camp Dreamcatcher is a camp held during the summer time for kids infected with or affected by HIV/AIDS. It provides an opportunity for the children to get away from their every day lives. In order for these kids to attend the camp, the Greek community helps raise money to pay for their expenses and any supplies needed for the camp.

For example, Alpha Xi (Z) Delta’s philanthropy is Autism Speaks and, in this past November, they held their third annual ‘Xingo,’ raising $1,400. Phi Sigma Sigma has an annual ‘Rock-A-Thon’ in order to raise money for their philanthropy, the National Kidney Foundation, raising anywhere from $800- $1400. The sisters of Phi Sigma Sigma have donated to the SPCA as well as tutored high school and elementary students. For the upcoming semester, many of the Phi Sigma Sigma sisters hope to attend a build for Habitat for Humanity community as well as continue raising money for Camp Dreamcatcher and their philanthropy. Some of their sisters are involved in the geology club, Habitat for Humanity, the Quad, Sisters to Sisters, and Relay for Life.

Sigma Phi Epsilon and their brothers have a toilet sit for 48 hours to raise money for the American Heart Association and an annual concert for ‘Save the Music’ in memory a brother who passed away, Barry Goselin, also known as Goose.

Delta Phi Epsilon has their annual ‘Deepher Dude’ in November where they raised $1,700 for Cystic Fibrosis. They will have a 48 hour camp out called ‘Dreaming with D Phi E’ to raise money for their philanthropies, some time in March or April. In addition to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, there is also D Phi E Education Foundation.

A number of the Delta Phi Epsilon sisters are involved in other groups on campus such as Habitat for Humanity, Sisters to Sisters, College Democrats, Leadership Consultant, Alpha Delta Kappa (Education Fraternity), Invisible Children, Alpha Upsilon Alpha (El. Education Fraternity), Student Government Association, Women Leading UP, Accounting Club, dance and tennis team, and Dietetics Association. Their overall GPA for Spring 2009 was a 3.39.

Phi Mu holds a night out at the Downingtown Bowling alley known as “Spare a Night,” where all their profits are donated to the Childrens Miracle Network, their philanthropy. Their sisters are involved in the Quad, Hillel (Jewish Organization), Geology club, English club, marching band, women’s center, LGBTQ, and the soccer team for WCU. Many of the Phi Mu sisters take time to volunteer at the Hickman Center, a retirement center on South Walnut Street and they also do canning for their philanthropy.

“With the first week of the semester already under way, many greek letters are being proudly styled around campus,” Dylan Star of Zeta Tau Alpha said. “Zeta Tau Alpha, a sorority on campus, has been wandering the grounds of West Chester since 1970.”

The sisters of Zeta Tau Alpha are involved in many other organizations on West Chester’s campus and the sorority maintains over a 3.0 GPA.

Zeta Tau Alpha, or ZTA’s, philanthropy is Breast Cancer Education and Awareness. This past fall, the ladies of ZTA sponsored a chocolate strawberry sale, with the profits going to Breast Cancer Awareness.

ZTA’s biggest event is the Breast Cancer walk held in mid October. West Chester students and residents of West Chester wear pink to support the breast cancer foundation. This past October, Zeta Tau Alpha raised over $3,000. This spring ZTA will be helping out at the women’s basketball pink zone game.

During the month of February ZTA will be raising money at their “Kiss Away Cancer” fundraiser. Later this semester, ZTA will have their annual “Bunny Hop.” Like the other sororities and fraternities on campus, ZTA is on this campus to enrich the lives of the sisters and everyone else.

Sigma Gamma Rho has a number of upcoming events to support many organizations such as the “Hope Benefit Gala for Student Outreach to Urban Schools.” This event will be held in Sykes ballrooms on Feb. 20 from 7 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. A fundraiser for Haiti will be held on Feb. 25 and 26 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Sykes. Also, on Wednesday, Feb. 3, Sigma Gamma Rho will be holding a “Build a Bear” at 7:20 p.m. in Sykes Ballroom B. There will be a ‘Mock Tails’ and karaoke on Feb. 27 in Sykes Common Grounds.

In March, Sigma Gamma Rho will be working with Alpha Phi in a “Domestic Violence Show” in Sykes Common Ground at 8 p.m. On April 27, there will be a ‘resume building’ workshop at 6:20 p.m., the meeting area is to be announced. To finish out the month, Sigma Gamma Rho will have a car wash at Farrell stadium on South Campus on Jan. 30.

In the past, the organization has done a walk for education in order to raise money for the education fund. During Sigma Gamma Rho Week in November, the students raised money for ‘Project Reassurance,’ which is another program available in order to provide to teenage mothers with baby supplies. Another educational program, known as ‘Teenage Parenthood: Preparation’ and serves to educate the campus on the struggles of teenage parenthood and the ways they can avoid becoming a young parent.

The fraternities and sororities on campus put a lot of time into serving the community by being involved in many organizations, as well as planning many events to raise money for great foundations. Greeks on campus strive for the same goals that many students strive for: the desire to make a difference.

Suzanne Brady is a fifth-year student majoring in Spanish education. She can be reached at SB619873@wcupa.edu.