Mon. May 13th, 2024

Love naps? Some people may not be able to get through the day without them. Taking naps can be a very bad thing. Stress Management professor, Patricia Broderick, shares information on what naps can do to the body.

“Naps are considered ‘bad’ when they are taken too close to bedtime. This interferes with your regular sleep,” Broderick said. “Naps should be no longer than 30 minutes to an hour.” It is very important for students and adults our age to get seven to eight hours of sleep every night. “Naps cannot replace your nightly sleep,” Broderick said.

Unfortunately, college students never seem to be getting these eight hours that they need every night. Naps can be considered “good” if you rest earlier in the day, and for a shorter period of time. College students do not always have the time to take 20 minutes out of their day to nap, so here are some suggestions that may help keep students from being tired throughout the day.

Try to get a regular cycle going. If one is trying to go to bed and waking up around the same times every day and night, their body will become accustomed to it and function more easily.

Try to get a solid seven to eight hours of sleep every single night. Studies show that only one night of sleep deprivation can impair a person’s performance for the entire next day. Students will do worse on exams, and they will feel groggy and emotional. They will have a slower reaction time, and less patience.

Do not rely on naps. With a regular sleep routine, one can get through the day without falling asleep at the wheel. Waking up each morning in eagerness to get right back into bed is not a healthy lifestyle.

Try to stay away from caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine before bed. These things can make one stay awake even when their body is telling you that you are tired.

Reduce light in your environment. The brain produces melatonin to regulate the sleep/wake cycle and make you feel sleepy when it registers darkness.

To those students who are struggling with sleep patterns and relying on naps to get through their day, try to evaluate”sleep hygiene.” Take care of ones sleep routine as if one were taking care of brushing their teeth, or washing their face.

“Examine your nightly routine,” said Professor Broderick.

For students who may be guilty of relying on naps to “catch up on sleep,” try using these techniques. Long naps make people tired. If one is in serious need of rest, try napping for a half hour instead of three. Last, ask oneself – as an individual, is one willing to make the lifestyle changes needed to sleep better?

Allison Snyder is a fifth-year student majoring in professional studies with a minor in journalism. She can be reached at AS613905@wcupa.edu.