The Gilbert & Sullivan Society of Chester County will reassemble for the annual fall musical comedy for five performances from Nov. 19 – 22 in the Emilie K. Asplundh concert hall.Two WCU students, Dan Moyer and Ashley Ray, play leading roles in the swashbuckling comedy “Pirates of Penzance.” The production also showcases 10 other WCU students complete with original costumes, sets and a full orchestra.

The Gilbert & Sullivan Society of Chester County was founded in 1987 and has graced WCU every November since.

West Chester students this year have the opportunity to embrace the comedic opera that follows a clan of pirates to the beach at Penzance.

“The Pirates of Penzance” is a comedic opera in two acts with original music from Gilbert & Sullivan. It was the fifth collaboration between the dynamic duo and this laugh-out-loud opera has withheld the test of time.

The opera’s official premiere was held in 1879 at the Fifth Avenue Theatre in New York City.

The opera received such positive feedback that the comedy played successfully for over three months. The opera also made its way across the Atlantic and into the London theater scene.

Frederic, a young man with a strong sense of duty, celebrates among the pirates on the completion of his twenty-first year. He meets Mabel, the daughter of Major-General Stanley, and the two fall in love immediately.

Frederic discovers that he was born on February 29, and only has a birthday each leap year.

His apprenticeship following state law indicates that he remains apprenticed to the pirates until his 21st birthday, and so he must serve for another 63 years. Mabel agrees to wait for him faithfully.

The cultural impact of “The Pirates of Penzance” encompasses all spheres of entertainment.

Chester County’s portrayal of “The Pirates of Penzance” offers viewers a slightly altered version.

The pirates discover a bevy of beauties on the beach at Penzance and decide to capture and marry them. But, they are all daughters and wards of the bumbling Major General Stanley who recruits the local constabulary to arrest the impertinent villains.

“Pirates” will cost $8 a ticket for students.

Eric Rinehimer is a West Chester University student. He can be reached at ER626593@wcupa.edu.