This academic year marks the 40th anniversary of the establishment of West Chester University’s Black Student Union. The Black Student Union was established as a place where African-American students could connect and support other African-Americans on campus. One of the founders is Larry Dowdy, who now works as the Executive Deputy to the President and the Government Relations Officer.

Their mission statement states that the organization seeks to “motivate, inspire, and unify the multicultural campus on- and off-campus”.

However, according to Kiera Smalls, vice-president of the group, this isn’t the case in regards to the aim of their appeal to certain individuals on campus.

“We don’t really stand by our title as ‘Black Student Union.’ We definitely branch off while raising awareness about the African-American community,” said Smalls.

“We want to make it more diverse. Sometimes we ask people who aren’t minority to come to BSU, but they fear that they’ll be the minority. But they really won’t, we treat everybody like it’s a family.”

In addition to Kiera Smalls, there are 13 other executive board members. It is no wonder that they boast a membership of approximately 90 to 200 members at every meeting.

“We fill the [Sykes] theater every week,” said Smalls.

In the past, BSU has done numerous programs and collaborations with other organizations, ranging from Student Activities Council, Student Government Association, the Women’s Center and the Women’s Center Club and Office of Multicultural Affairs, among many others.

Last year, BSU brought Black Panther Party to campus, a revolutionary African-American organization that led the Black Power movement during the 1960s and 70s, which, according to their website, “operated on the love for black people, not hatred of white people.”

They have had programs surrounding sex education, history, current events and more. They frequently hold dances and events that engage and include not only the African-American community, but all individuals on campus.

Not only does BSU hold entertainment events, but they are also heavily involved in recognizing phenomenal African-American individuals on campus. They have events titled “Phenomenal Women” and “Men Appreciation,” which celebrates individuals who achieve a certain GPA.

This year they are organizing an awards ceremony titled “The Black Carpet Affair”, which will showcase all of the minority leadership positions, organizations, and programs on campus. They are also working on establishing a scholarship to present to an individual at this ceremony.

On top of all of this, they also volunteer within the community, donate money to local organizations and send individuals to the Black Leadership Conference every year. The BSU is focused on fostering leadership and excellence among the African-American community at West Chester University.

“We try to balance fun and educational programs,” President Danielle Gilliam said.

The organization is especially involved in the month of February, for Black History Month. They will be conducting community service every weekend and holding events throughout the week.

In addition to Black History Month events, they will be collaborating with SGA for Martin Luther King Day of Service. They are bringing African dancers to teach their members native African dance routines, and the 2nd Annual Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Douglass leadership pageant will also occur next semester.

For the fans of the Sadie Hawkins dance that occurred last year, there will be another next semester. There is a comedy show scheduled, and the organization plans on presenting the play titled, “The Pocketbook Monologues,” which invites women of color to discuss sexual responsibility.

The BSU truly attempts to appeal to all individuals, even going as far as to have a freshmen representative on their executive board, whose sole position is to recruit first-year students. This year the position is held by Debbie Pierre.

Besides the freshmen representative, the group also reaches out to Student Activities Council and Student Government Association by employing a representative for each organization, positions currently held by Brittani Ferris and Kiarrah Newsome, respectively.

Lalynda Sowell is the president of the Street Team, a group of individuals that advertise BSU events across campus by distribution of flyers and word of mouth.

Interested students can contact Black Student Union in a variety of ways. They could visit their website at www.iws.wcupa.edu/bsu, e-mail them at wcupabsu@yahoo.com, or visit their office at 234 Sykes.

They are also on Facebook under the group name “WCU’S BLACK STUDENT UNION,” and a fan page at “Black Student Union WCU.”

What began as a few African-American individuals has grown into a hardworking and dedicated 14-member executive board.

The promise of friendship and the vision of inclusion and community are the reasons as to why the Black Student Union has celebrated 40 phenomenal years at West Chester University.

The Black Student Union holds true to West Chester University’s mission: Expect Excellence.

Jennifer Halligan is a third-year student majoring in elementary education and minoring in Spanish and women’s studies. She can be reached at JH653435@wcupa.edu.