“What do you want to be when you grow up?” is a frequently asked question we’ve all had to answer at some point in our lives. As national unemployment rates reach double digits, many soon-to-be college graduates are revisiting this question wondering if they should find a more promising career path.The National Career Development Association (NCDA) has designated the month of November to promote career development through its annual celebration of “National Career Development Month.” Throughout the United States, universities, colleges, and K-12 schools host a variety of career related events to help students transition from being a student to being a professional.

Here at West Chester University, Twardowski Career Development Center, located in Lawrence 225, will be hosting its first annual Career Development Week during Nov.16-20. The week has been designed to prepare West Chester students for the increasingly competitive job market through various programs, which shed light on the career planning process.

“We would like to raise awareness about the value of thinking about one’s goals in life and explore the options available to achieve fulfillment in one’s career,” said Becky Ross, director for the Career Development Center. “Also, to raise students’ awareness of the resources and services available to them right here on campus.”

The Career Development Center will host an open house on Wednesday, Nov. 18 from noon to 3 p.m., which will introduce students to their wide range of services. Students will also be able to register on College Central Network (CCN) – a website that provides students and recent graduates with the Web-based tools to effectively manage their job search of entry-level jobs. The open house will also feature informational videos from CareerTV, a showing of a 1970s classic interview film entitled “Are YOU Ready.?” as well as door prizes, games and contests.

Throughout the week, informational tables sponsored by student organizations will be set-up in Sykes and Sturzebecker from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Some of the particpating student organizations include Co-Curricular Portfolio, American Dietetic Association and American Marketing Association. Co-Curricular Portfolio will be in Sykes on Tuesday, Nov. 17 and American Dietetic Association will be in Sturzebecker on Thursday, Nov. 19. American Marketing Association is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 19 in Sykes.

The Career Development Center invites Resident Assistants, Orientation Leaders, Peer Mentors, Peer Counselors and other student staff to a program entitled “Putting Paraprofessional Leadership Positions on Your Resume.” The program will be held at 3 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 17 and Wednesday, Nov. 18. Students will learn resmue building tips for including leadership experience and campus involvment.

The Career Development Center provides a full range of career related services, special programs and career fairs to provide WCU graduates with a competitve edge in the job market. Throughout the year, the center also offers workshops where students can learn how to write resumes, prepare for job interviews and get ready for career fairs.

When students visit the center, the staff utilizes a career development model to develop and implement the student’s individual career plan. The model involves three steps which include assessing skills, interests and values exploring opitions and taking action by pursuing a goal.

Throughout the month of November, the center’s Web site (www.wcupa.edu/cdc) will feature the “Unusual Job of the Day” on its Web calendar. Whether it is a professional butler, a food taster or a Pet Psychologist – the sky is the limit for career possibilites available to students post-graduation.

The Career Development Center encourages students to “discover the possibilites” by researching the number of career possibilites available in their field of interest, and pursue several career paths instead of just one. Students can attend workshops and programs as well as use extensive links on the center’s web site including access to the Vault Career Library.

“There may be more options and opportunities than it first appears,” said Phil Tripp, assistant director for the Career Development Center. “Part of the career model we use involves exploration, and that encourages and enables you to find new options.

“Whether you are a first- or second-year student contemplating which major to choose or a senior or alumni looking for a job, the Career Center provides students and alumni with an abundance of information and resources to help guide them through the career planning process.

“Choosing a career can seem like a daunting task and perhaps that makes it hard to know where to get started, but that is exactly what we do in the career center: help you find a direction or if you already have a direction, help you find a job or pursue graduate school,” said Ross.

For more information about Twardowski Career Development Center and Career Development Week, please visit www.wcupa.edu/cdc or visit them at 224 Lawrence Center.

Melissa Stack is a fourth-year student majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in journalism. She can be reached at MS626731@wcupa.edu.