Wed. May 8th, 2024

This past weekend the newly-dedicated J.P. Adler Studio Theatre in the E.O. Bull Center came alive with “Six in the Studio: An Evening of Student Written One-Acts.” With performances on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, sold-out audiences were able to experience the results of collaborative student efforts, a process that began several months ago.The Playwriting class, instructed by Dr. Harvey Rovine, is offered each spring and focuses on creating original, one-act plays written by students. At the conclusion of the course, class participants are able to present their final scripts in a read-through performance.

Attended by WCU students and faculty, these initial presentations are narrowed down to a handful of one-acts to be fully produced in the fall. After editing and revising their scripts over the summer, the chosen playwrights returned this September to hand over their work to student and faculty directors, as well as student designers, casts and crews. From there their one-act plays became a collective challenge, resulting in innovative final performances.

With themes including love, death, drugs and abuse, “Six in the Studio” explored many layers of the imagination, from realistic events to bizarre fantasies.

“Untitled Love” by Chris Triebel, directed by Michael Durkin, and “Bibliophile” by Kate Nelson dealt with opposite views of being in love. The first focused on a missed connection and losing one?s only real chance to say “I love you.” The latter presents the comical story of a young man who has fallen deeply in love with the fictional character of Jane Eyre.

Other plays focus on individuality: “Hermit of Horse Valley” by Sam Massarella painted characters that people whisper about, and “B, D, and E” by Mark Everett and directed by Kate Nelson, introduced characters and stories that everyone can relate to. In “Shakespeare Trip” written by Steve Blahut, the audience is taken on a melodramatic drug-trip, complete with appearances by Macbeth, Caesar and Shakespeare.

Lastly, the evening of One-Acts concluded with “Caring for Violets” by Maria Maloney, directed by Kate Stewart. A compilation of several shorter scenes involving different women and the choices or mistakes they make in life, this metaphoric play speaks to the variety of petals women must peel away to bloom.

Open to the public on both Thursday and Friday nights, it should be noted that the Saturday performance was reserved, by invitation only, at the request of President Adler. This night marked the dedication of the Studio Theatre to her son, the late J.P. Adler. With a newly-renovated entranceway and plaques dedicated to J.P. Adler, as well as to the WCU recipients of the J.P. Adler Scholarships, the night included a special ceremony with speeches and guests to celebrate the memory of J.P. Adler. It could not have been a more appropriate gesture to honor the life of an individual so deeply committed to the exploration of the arts and theatrical expression.

Altogether, “Six in the Studio” provided audiences with the unique opportunity to experience original and creative theater.

With WCU students writing, directing, designing and acting, the one-acts form key opportunities each year for those interested in understanding the entire production process.