Tue. May 14th, 2024

Philadelphia Inquirer, SEPTA declared it would have to eliminate all weekend service, increase fares an average of 25 percent, and fire 16 percent of its employees by Jan. 1 if the state legislature did not increase the agency?s funding and erase a $62 million deficit.In June, SEPTA adopted a $920 million budget for 2005, but with a $62 million deficit, it would have to propose increases if the money is not received to close that gap. This would increase the current base fare from $2.00 to $2.50, a token would go from $1.30 to $1.70, and a transfer would increase from $0.60 to $0.75. In addition, about 1,400 of SEPTA?s approximately 9,000 employees would lose their jobs, according to the Inquirer.

Transit Agency Budget Director Richard Brunfield said, “SEPTA would be a Monday through Friday operation,” cutting back on weekend services to increase the number of weekday riders. This move would impact numerous university students, especially commuters.

Michael Flemming, a senior political science major from Philadelphia said, “Without Septa?s weekend service, it would cause a decline in the commuter population, especially those from the Philly region who rely heavily on the public transportation. Many of the students that are here from Philly came here simply because of West Chester?s proximity to the city and its easy accessibility back into the city. West Chester is far enough from home [Philly] to miss home, but close enough to never get homesick.

Many students from Philly go home on the weekend and need that weekend service,” he said.

Working as a liaison between the commuter population of students and the university, members of the Off-Campus Commuter Association (OCCA) declared that they would continue to weigh the options regarding the SEPTA situation.

However, OCCA agreed that without SEPTA, the commuter population would be devastated and that it would do everything in its power to make sure that the decision to cut weekend services doesn?t go through.

For more information regarding this article or SEPTA, go to www. SEPTA.org or contact The Philadelphia Inquirer at philly.com.